Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2009, 20:55   #16
Super Moderator

Re: I do hope Chester get relegated

Yep, pretty dire today. I'm just relieved that we played nothing like that on Saturday, because if we had, Grimsby would've wiped the floor with us. Really cannot see Chester staying up, as they're miles inferior to the Mariners (unless they're a Jeckyll & Hyde team like us!).
Old 13-04-2009, 21:12   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
milesy offered us his bottle of wine
Jimmy Ryan was the best player on the pitch today in my view.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 21:14   #18
Senior Member+

They say that football is all about differing opinions. I thought that was the poorest performance by Ryan for a long time. His passing was off the mark and he miscontrolled the ball on quite a few occasions.
Old 13-04-2009, 21:19   #19
Full Member+

I didn't think Ryan was quite that bad TM but I do know where you're coming from. In my humble opinion Phil Edwards was head and shoulders above anyone else today but, as usual, people don't notice him. He just gets on with his job quietly, efficiently...... and very well!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 21:22   #20
Senior Member+

I didn't mean to imply that he was rubbish, just that he was well short of his usual high standards. He's only a young lad and is bound to have a few off days. The thing is, the rest of the team were off the pace too.
Old 13-04-2009, 21:31   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
kenny was carrying an achillies injury for half the match poor soul limping on way to the car, he said he was fine but it flared up, still he played very well.
Kenny's been carrying that injury for over a month now.Apparently it seems to settle down then just flares up whenever it wants. I've seen Kenny a couple of times over recent weeks whilst purchasing gloves and that, and he's been in pain for quite some time. Poor guy. Proper professional footballer, hard as nails too!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 21:39   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
Phil Edwards was head and shoulders above anyone else today but, as usual, people don't notice him. He just gets on with his job quietly, efficiently...... and very well!
I agree whole heartly with that comment, He get's on with the job quietly, effieciently, and very very very well! His tracking back, Ball control, Heading, tackleing was just so good to watch! A proper hard working no nonsense defender! We would be ####ed without him! If he goes in the summer. He's one player i hope we keep but if he goes to a higher league he has truely earnt his chance! That's why i voted for him as website player of the season! One person who does not get enough praise for what he does on the pitch!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 22:18   #23
Senior Member+

ev
And was I the only one to think that this afternoon's playing surface didn't allow accurate control and playing of the Ball...
AND today from the evident dominance of the two Central Defenders of Chester City, the game cried out for a Paul Mullin !!...He is greatly missed!!.

Alfred.E. didn't reckon much of the Referee either !!

'WHAT ME WORRY'
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 22:22   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
I agree whole heartly with that comment, He get's on with the job quietly, effieciently, and very very very well! His tracking back, Ball control, Heading, tackleing was just so good to watch! A proper hard working no nonsense defender! We would be ####ed without him! If he goes in the summer. He's one player i hope we keep but if he goes to a higher league he has truely earnt his chance! That's why i voted for him as website player of the season! One person who does not get enough praise for what he does on the pitch!
perhaps a future captain?
Old 14-04-2009, 02:32   #25
God Member

definately have to say Phil Edawrds is the most under rated player in the stanley side yet he is the most consistent

WE ALL NEED A SIDE OF PHIL EDWARDS

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 07:05   #26
Senior Member+

I think Phil Edwards is the only Stanley player to start and finish every game! I maybe wrong and correct me if i am :-) Defenailty should be captain next season if it becomes available. Thought he did well when he had it for a few games, but i think it might go to Paul Mullin
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 08:17   #27

nothing to play for so to me very poor game and if we play like we did against city m chesterfield will put 5-6 in
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:41   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
Jimmy Ryan was the best player on the pitch today in my view.
That was not saying a lot TM. But I did notice him putting a good shift in. He was more effective than in the Lincoln game.

What Phil Edwards did was mainly very good/excellent but he does it in a quietly efficient way and is noticed less as a result.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!

Last edited by Haggis316; 14-04-2009 at 12:44.
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 13:53   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
I think Phil Edwards is the only Stanley player to start and finish every game! I maybe wrong and correct me if i am :-) Defenailty should be captain next season if it becomes available. Thought he did well when he had it for a few games, but i think it might go to Paul Mullin
You are correct Phil is the only player to have started every game this season which is:
43 league games
1 coca cola cup game
2 FA Cup games
1 JPT Cup game

He did come off after 18 minutes against Shrewsbury in the league game on 21st October, giving him 4158 minutes of football played so far

Last edited by Pendle Red; 14-04-2009 at 13:58.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 19:56   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
ev
And was I the only one to think that this afternoon's playing surface didn't allow accurate control and playing of the Ball...

Alfred.E. didn't reckon much of the Referee either !!

'WHAT ME WORRY'
No I thought exactly the same, maybe the pitch should be watered heavily before we play on it if the weather is warm and sunny. As for the referee and his assistant at the Coppice end, missed a stonewall Stanley penalty in the 2nd half which neither could or should have missed. Chester fans let out a huge sigh of relief - a clearer handball (hand to ball not the other way round) you will not see. Whether we deserved a draw or not, the ref and his assistants played in blue and white stripes yesterday

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..