Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2010, 15:25   #16

Re: Increasing Crowds??

Although Stanley's crowds could be better I think fans are great and really supporting the team.
You have to remember that Burnley is 5 miles one way and Blackburn 5 miles the other.
How many years ago was it we were in Uni L 2 and the attendance was 300 inc away fans.

Hey you, don't watch that watch this! This is the heavy heavy monster sound,
The nuttiest sound around. So if you've come in off the street and you're beginning to feel the heat,
Well listen buster, you better start to move your feet to the rockinest, rock-steady beat of STANLEY

SOS 243
Stephen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2010, 15:36   #17
God Member

we are still in the grip of the worst economic depression in living memory, and we havce the added unbenefit of now having two premiership teams within 5 miles. Yet crowds are not much worse than they were 18/24 months ago. Which suggests to me that better times may well not be too far away. It also doesn't help that we have had as much negative publicity as it is possible to have in the last 18 months!

I reckon that things are on the up next season anyway, but I would love this club to really push the boat out and make a statement to the whole world of football. We should ensure that we are the cheapest Football League club in the country. I would charge a fiver for everyone, regardless of age, political or sexual persuasion, creed or physical ableness. Family of four £20?

I am adamant that it would push crowds to the 4000 mark. We then have to be in a position to capitalise on triple the amount of people. We would havce to be able to get them in the club shop, sell them programmes and beer, and we would have to look at the catering as to whether we should up the rent to the current traders - or take it off them and do it ourselves. I am sure that advertising and sponsorship revenue would increase dramatically as well.

But if the school of thought is that by more halving our ticket price we would be halving our income then it wouldn't or couldn't ever happen.
Old 14-01-2010, 15:43   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen666 View Post
Although Stanley's crowds could be better I think fans are great and really supporting the team.
You have to remember that Burnley is 5 miles one way and Blackburn 5 miles the other.
How many years ago was it we were in Uni L 2 and the attendance was 300 inc away fans.
That's true, although there have been times when we have had over 3,000 on. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe there just isn't the potential to get decent sized crowds on the Stanley on a regular bases.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 15:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
That's true, although there have been times when we have had over 3,000 on. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe there just isn't the potential to get decent sized crowds on the Stanley on a regular bases.
I was being positive Bernard, look at where we are now and where we used to be. A big credit to Coley, the players an the fans of course. . . . . . . I was part of the 300 by the way.

Hey you, don't watch that watch this! This is the heavy heavy monster sound,
The nuttiest sound around. So if you've come in off the street and you're beginning to feel the heat,
Well listen buster, you better start to move your feet to the rockinest, rock-steady beat of STANLEY

SOS 243
Stephen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 15:55   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen666 View Post
I was being positive Bernard, look at where we are now and where we used to be. A big credit to Coley, the players an the fans of course. . . . . . . I was part of the 300 by the way.
I agree with what you say. It's just that question how do we get more people on the Stanley. Is it money, is it other factors that keep people away.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 18:43   #21
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Looking at the club & ground last year when I visited, I thought the prices were reasonable enough, but the parking looked like it would present problems if the gates were upped. I also think that maybe the stands could possibly do with modernising/smartening up or at least maybe the roofs extended to give a bit more shelter to the fans, especially on those cold wet & windy days in Autumn/Winter. I understand this costs money but speculation should help increase turnover = Income. That said isn't it possible to maybe encourage local firms into helping, whether it be donations of material/workforce time or building as a project, local Military engineer Regts often do builds in the community to strengthen ties, plus it gives the lads & lasses a chance to practice their trades. As incentive/reward invites to Hospitality events & free entry to "Top games" use of the boxes, surely those more in the know could come up with something suitable.
Then there's the shop, when we visited I wanted to spend a few bob but there was no opportunity, when I looked online there the choice was very very poor, I then read about the problems with dsipatch etc and decided against ordering anything (As it is, I'm still waiting on my Official club card for season 09-10 applied in Sept 09, and at the same time paid for season 10-11) this was my first time of joining and if others have had the same sort of response it's hardly surprising people aren't falling over themselves to join/purchase merchandise.
So that is my point of view hopefully there's something in there you can use, but whatever comes, I really want to see the club march on and have many successes.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 21:21   #22
God Member

Nothing ventured nothing gained in most cases with the posts on here as always some very fluent ideas.

Football in Accy has always been difficult down the years pre 68 it was the same with surges up & down in crowd sizes with two Top Flight Clubs either side but the Club have to push themselves only they can do that and make those are the key descions big or small that will bring sizeable additions in crowd numbers to the Crown Ground, we all play our part by wearing the Shirts, coming along and supporting them, bringing friends and family along and just spreading the word.

One conversation I had recently with a friend and fellow Stanley fan probably sums it up best in my eyes:

The Holy Grail for Stanley was always the return to the Football League, once that was achieved there was a massive failure to build on that in most things at the Club it was the one chance for the Golden Goose to appear, now it time is to seek out a new Holy Grail that will capture the publics attention to focus on Accrington Stanley once more for the right reasons.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 14-01-2010 at 21:26.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 21:26   #23

league one for me is the new holy one
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 21:28   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimps View Post
In one you have it my friend

SFFS
Old 14-01-2010, 21:31   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimps View Post
If that can be attained before i croak, i will die happy.
Old 14-01-2010, 21:32   #26
God Member

The Clarets had the "Dare to Dream" campaign
Rovers had the "Taking Back Ewood Campaign"

What have we got? or more importantly what do we need?

What about "Roar Us On to League One"

SFFS
Old 14-01-2010, 21:33   #27

snow off the ground lol
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 21:43   #28
God Member

Smile Re: Increasing Crowds??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Probably be more apt for one of the Tuesday night games coming up and in particular be aimed at away followings as that is where most of the money would come from for such a promotion, if it was also aimed at either Rover's or Burnley season ticket holders as well it may push the crowds up greatly?
I like that idea Google Page Ranking, those fans are there, so let's try to get some to come, not every game, but as you have said, selected games, when we know that the turn out will be low and build from there! Friday nights again are a good one to go forward with!

Just ideas, something must be worth a try, unless the thoughts are as Macca has said, money off means less money in! But isn't there a saying that "Less is more?"

19 Years in the Football League

VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:08   #29

I think we do alright as a club for fans when all considered. Theres the other 2 teams factor and the credit crunch etc

At least we have a regular at least 1200 loyal fans on the gate, but when you look at darlingtons now they arent doing well it has shot to the lowest in the league. At least our expectations dont get to high and dont get fickle about what we watch, i.e i dont think iv ever heard any fans boo the team at the end of the game, regardless of the result

AccyAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:36   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAggro View Post
when you look at darlingtons now they arent doing well it has shot to the lowest in the league.
...not quite. Darlo's current average is 2,028, ours is 2,022, Macc's is 1,991 and the Daggers' is 1,967. Those two biggish gates against Darlo and Alex when other fans turned up in our hour of need have prevented us from occupying our usual bottom-of-the-table position. Hopefully, the attractive, winning football we're playing will prevent us from ending up with the lowest average attendances at the end of the season!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..