Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 10:29   #31

Re: January Transfer Target

I think Coly is struggling to get any players in. I don't think it's for the lack of trying. There are possibly three reasons why no experienced league players will come.
1.Eric will not pay the required wages to attract the calibre of players we now need.
2. Quality players do not want to play at a stadium, that is frankly non -league.
3. They may not want to play for Coley, and his team of scousers.
If nothing happens soon we are going to be in a position that we could not extract ourselves from, and the inevietable will be relegation. I never thought I would even think such thoughts, but I am becoming more and more pesimistic. If you look at the signing Coley's made since we were promoted to the League , they are non - entitys Saun Dougherty, a few young kids, no fees involved, it's as though we are trying to run a football club on the cheap. It might be the case that Eric has made funds available but the players of the calibre we now desperatly want and need will not sign for us. we all know of the players Coley has tried to sign, bur how many others has he tried for that we don't know about?
Maybe I'm just being over worried ,but something has got to happen very soon. I honestly can't see where a goal is going to come from in open play,let alone a win.
I don't want to criticise the present players too much but I think sentiment is ruling our heads, these are the players that brought us up through the Unibond and the Conference and into the Football League, but just maybe the have had their days, and we should move on very quickly,there is no sentiment in football, and we are all living in that past setiment including myself.
Please Eric we don't want to be known as the one season wonders. Imagine the newspaper headlines. Club have monies in bank but would not spend any,prefer relegation, and in the black.
Anyway friends I have got that of my chest now, and I don't feel any better., but I will still be there on Saturday, calling the Ref and Linesmen.
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2007, 10:40   #32
God Member

I was with you up to 3 which i think is a little uncalled for to be honest.. apart from our current bad run brought on by circumstances possibly out of coleys control (was he forced to sell roberts?) coley is one of the most succesfull managers in the country... what other manager has had 6 succesive seasons of taking a team higher each season? and the scouse thing isn't even worth a response my point being.. any manager would falter if circumstances are forced on him.. to sell players and not have funds to replace... not up to coley to sort the ground out either...

Apart from 3 ..I am with you on everything else you ahve just posted...unfortunatly... hmmm
Old 09-01-2007, 10:57   #33

Yes Kipax I know where you are coming from, I did say I never thought I would feel like this. Yes Coley has been succesful , but sentiment is taking over, the last six years have been supurb but they are the last six years, gone, we have to move on, I'm not calling Coley, a lot of the things will be out of his control, but what I'm trying to say is the club has to change, for us to even stay as we are. I'ts good to encourage speech and peoples indevidual thoughts when we are going though a really sticky patch is'nt it?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06   #34
God Member

why are you asking me that last question when i just joined you in conversation, agreed with most of what you said.. didnt agree with one point and opened a debate.... why then ask me that last bit?

I just think any manager would struggle.. thus i dont think it would be a case of people not wanting to play for coley.. more a case of league position, money and facilities.... we will either get old players on there last legs wanting a last season in league or we will get none league wanting a little taste of league..maybe there only chance... I really cant see us enticing anyone decent as you say..... i just cant see it... but my fingers are crossed and I am hoping somethign happens in this months transfer window..
Old 09-01-2007, 11:33   #35
Senior Member+

To be honest, I thought something would have happened by now. The position we've been in over the last few months has been unfortunate to say the least, but I did think that a number of signings would have been lined up, ready to go on the 1st of the month.

The problem, as previously said, is that Coleman can't get in the type of players we really need. The points raised by Tommy McQ are valid (except the 3rd one), and that spells trouble for us. Paying low wages, low quality ground, league position, etc, all play a part in the inability to attract the right quality of players. The problem, of course, is that we can't afford to operate at the level we currently are at. Low gates and, in my opinion, unsuccessful commercial activities, have left the club with a financial chasm that means we continue to operate on a shoestring.

I really thought that fortunes would change once we could make some signings, but now I'm having some serious second thoughts. We've grown very fast over the last 7 years. Maybe too fast to make it sustainable?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:52   #36
God Member

yep its plain to see and Tommy McQ has hit the nail on head and posted what most of us are thinking (bar 3) but what next? can anyone see a light at the end of the tunnel... Well it's a dim one but it's there and if? coley gets some new blood in then we have a chance but apart from wrexham where we did look like a team staying up.. things look grim..

for me we shouldnt be looking at the conference and how good it will be... i refuse to look downwards... my fingers are crossed (hence all the spellos honest) and my faith is still there.. I said pre season a relegation fight that will be exciting and we will just scrape through and stay in the league... I am sticking by that....until the end of january window at least
Old 09-01-2007, 12:23   #37
God Member

Perhaps a slightly different take on No 3 ( ignoring the scouse bit) is that JC (As far as I know) didn't play league football. That could be a disadvantage because as in most walks of life it's not what you know but who you know.

There aren't many succesful managers around who played football at non-league level ( Sven is the only one that springs to mind lol )

Could it be that Cooky had a lot of good contacts in the game ?

I have no doubt JC's management skills are excellent but perhaps he needs a bit more help backstage in finding the right players.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:50   #38
Resting In Peace

We have a team of players with little or no league experience (except with Stanley). We have a manager with no league experience. We have an assistant manager with no league experience. We have a Chairman with no league experience. We have backroom staff and administration staff with no league experience. The wages we pay are below league standard. Our ground is of a poor league standard. Our support is poor league standard. Unless something changes we will be back where our facilities, players, staff, etc belong. Hereford came up with us via the play offs. They lost players during the close season but replaced them, look where they are now. We have not replaced anybody, we have not strengthened the team. We are playing with non-league players in the team who are not good enough for the standard of football we need to survive in the league. If we are relegated we will be a laughing stock again. Will Eric then do the decent thing and sell up to someone who is a bit more ambitious - by which time it will be too late. Something must be done, and done now to save us, or we will become the first Conference Champions to be relegated in their first season in the league.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 13:00   #39
God Member

I would love to see Cooky back i think hes got the links in league football which could help, but how does the club have to have league staff??? did we have conference staff when we got promoted to the conference? No! they adapted and got us into the league giev them chance, as for slating Coley i would like to know who you think we could get to come to Stanley? surely if we cant attract league players there is going to be no league manager who would come!!!

Keep the faith in the management, the team and the staff we will be safe come the end of the season, then lets all celebrate at the Open day!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 13:06   #40
God Member

John .. could your post be translated as.... shh don't mention the problems ...

You would need to have your head seriously buried in the sand to think there arn't problems.. I am a big Coley fan and I also support Eric all the way... but I can see problems and it's good to talk and get others views The answer doesn't always have to be get rid...
Old 09-01-2007, 13:15   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins View Post
Keep the faith in the management, the team and the staff we will be safe come the end of the season, then lets all celebrate at the Open day!!!
I hope that you are right. I hope we will be safe a the end of the season, then during the close season things can be sorted out ready for the 2007-2008 season. Probably most of the supporters of the other clubs at the wrong end of league two are saying exactly what you are saying - that they will be safe come the end of the season. Face it TWO TEAMS MUST BE RELEGATED AT THE END OF THE SEASON. If we are going to be safe who do you think the two teams will be ?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 13:15   #42

The scouse bit was meant to imply that Coley only has a limited knowledge of players, and most of that knowledge is centrered around the Merseyside area, in wich he resides, it stands to reason therefor with the limited experience particularly in League football, that the majority of his signings will be from his connections in and around Merseyside, bur I feel although he has done an absolutely fantastic job, horizons need to be enlarged. I honestly don't know what the short term answer is. Is it give Coley a large amount of monies to throw at players wages, in order to get some quality in? Or is it to let Coley carry on with his local scouting for young talent? I don't feel that at this particular moment that is an option. We need a quick fix, or resign ourselves to playing the level of football that we are most comfortable with, for the players and surroundings.
Old 09-01-2007, 13:27   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
I hope that you are right. I hope we will be safe a the end of the season, then during the close season things can be sorted out ready for the 2007-2008 season. Probably most of the supporters of the other clubs at the wrong end of league two are saying exactly what you are saying - that they will be safe come the end of the season. Face it TWO TEAMS MUST BE RELEGATED AT THE END OF THE SEASON. If we are going to be safe who do you think the two teams will be ?
Torquay will be one and i think Boston will be the other imho as i dont think boston will keep hold of all of their players for the season as the are in huge financial problems rumored to be £5 million in debt! would prefer our position to their at this moment, cause come the end of the season there still WILL be a Accrington Stanley not as sure footings for Boston
Old 09-01-2007, 13:40   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
We have a team of players with little or no league experience (except with Stanley). We have a manager with no league experience. We have an assistant manager with no league experience. We have a Chairman with no league experience. We have backroom staff and administration staff with no league experience. The wages we pay are below league standard. Our ground is of a poor league standard. Our support is poor league standard. Unless something changes we will be back where our facilities, players, staff, etc belong. Hereford came up with us via the play offs. They lost players during the close season but replaced them, look where they are now. We have not replaced anybody, we have not strengthened the team. We are playing with non-league players in the team who are not good enough for the standard of football we need to survive in the league. If we are relegated we will be a laughing stock again. Will Eric then do the decent thing and sell up to someone who is a bit more ambitious - by which time it will be too late. Something must be done, and done now to save us, or we will become the first Conference Champions to be relegated in their first season in the league.
All together now..........Always look on the briiiiiiiiigght side of life!!!

du du, du du du du du du.!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 13:42   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins View Post
Torquay will be one and i think Boston will be the other imho as i dont think boston will keep hold of all of their players for the season as the are in huge financial problems rumored to be £5 million in debt! would prefer our position to their at this moment, cause come the end of the season there still WILL be a Accrington Stanley not as sure footings for Boston

I think Boston are on the verge of being taken over at the moment, can't see them going under.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..