Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 22:32   #76
Member.

Re: January Transfer Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
As a Stanley lifer I have seen us at the absolute arse end of football. I currently watch Stanley play in lovely grounds with nice seats and big impressive floodlights and crowds of 6/7000. I personally do not care per se if we end up having to play in the lower leagues again because I have watched the dream unfold before my eyes over the last 10 years.

When Eric Whalley took over we were £75000 in debt, playing in front of 250 people with a ground capacity of 2600. We were signing players from Whinney Hill and Altham for Gawds sake. Now we are free of debt, with considerable assets and a million pound turnover, playing in front of 2500/3000 people regularly and the ground, although lacking in comforts, holds over 5000. And we have witnessed one of the greatest sporting comebacks ever. For a tiny club like Stanley to come through the pyramid, in spite of the bigger clubs at the end of the street, in spite of poor crowds, in spite of poor facilities, in spite of local public apathy, is nothing short of a miracle. This has been made possible by shrewd helmanship by the Chairman and by the galvanising man management of the manager. Eric Whalleys' contribution to the footballing folk of Accrington must never be forgotten. John Coleman must be allowed to make mistakes as he has taken us further than one could ever imagine and has earned the right to get it wrong.

Things may not be rosy in the Fraser Eagle garden at the moment but we have plenty of time to get it right. McGivern getting injured was an absolute gutwrench as he looked like the foil for Mully we have lacked since Lutel ran his course. Roberts and Craney going was an inevitable nightmare that rocked the club, Boco doing his back whilst on International duty (when did Stanleyites ever envisage that problem?) was harsh, an almost entire team on the treatment table was the straw that broke the camels back. If we stay up we know that we have been able to compete in plenty of games this season and assuming that we dont have equally bad luck next season we will be entirely better equipped to have a tilt at something meaningful. We will also have a second successive year of 'big league' money via television money that will start to make a difference to the aesthetics of the ground, we will also have hopefully learned the commercial lessons of this season and be better able to exploit the cash cow.

If we do go down, it wont be the end of the world, it will be no more than another chapter in the romantic fairytale that is Accrington Stanley

Amen.................On Stanley On.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2007, 22:38   #77
God Member

half way through the season.. too many people talking about going down..

STAYING UP!!! STAYING UP!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 22:39   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
John Coleman must be allowed to make mistakes as he has taken us further than one could ever imagine and has earned the right to get it wrong.

If we do go down, it wont be the end of the world, it will be no more than another chapter in the romantic fairytale that is Accrington Stanley
Great post Macca, I was trying to conjure a phrase about Coley, but the above will do for me, what did Alex Ferguson do in his first six years at Utd. Sweet FA.

Nil desperandum

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 22:40   #79
God Member

Some good results for you tonight. Barnets progress in the cup will hopefully distract them from the league and Grimsby got beat. Looking at thier goal difference they must be more favourite than anyone else to go down.
Old 09-01-2007, 22:42   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Some good results for you tonight. Barnets progress in the cup will hopefully distract them from the league and Grimsby got beat. Looking at thier goal difference they must be more favourite than anyone else to go down.
Bloody hell, someone looking over the parapet, thanks.

Old 09-01-2007, 22:48   #81
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Bloody hell, someone looking over the parapet, thanks.
He’s a closet Stanley Fan with a flirtation for a bit of rough, he’ll come out sooner or later and all power to him……On Stanley On

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 22:49   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
He’s a closet Stanley Fan with a flirtation for a bit of rough, he’ll come out sooner or later and all power to him……On Stanley On
Am I allowed to say Bollox or will it be starred out
Old 09-01-2007, 22:56   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Am I allowed to say Bollox or will it be starred out
It'll only be starred out if it's not true, that's the magic of Stanley.

Old 09-01-2007, 23:42   #84

I dont think Coley has made mistakes, he was making provision for the loss of Roberts and Craney by bringing in McGivern and Mannix, both of them out in a flash coupled with Boco and Cavs long term probs have him making contingency plans before his original ones could unfold. He also strengthened the Squad with Bains and jacobson then Oh asterix Ventre and Dunbavin out. The mans thinking on his feet for Christs sake, would anyone on here REALLY like to be sorting this mess out for us. While we`re happily typing out our misery he`ll be up to the eyeballs with facts figures and possibilities looking for a way to keep us up.

As for Eric I cant say I know him, but i would imagine that he has MORE commitment and Ambition than ever now we`ve got this far.

Don`t think anyone who says "It doesn`t matter" whether we stay up can question either of them.

Ask them !

It Matters !

We`re Staying UP !

MAX OUT ! LOUDEST EVER SUPPORT ON SATURDAY !

HEY ! BTW they said the drum was allowed in the afternoon and I ain`t heard it since. Whats going on ?

I`ll bang it if you don`t wanna.

EW Cart On
JC Cart On
Stanley Cart ON

No-One is completely useless........
They can always serve as a bad example.
www.panjenix.co.uk
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:14   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post

We`re Staying UP !
Got to agree. I see whoever Coley does get, as needing to be a catalyst for the rest of the squad, who are working their socks off.

They just need a bit of a lift.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29   #86

KEEP FAITH MY FRIENDS!!
tRUST ME THERE WILL BE NEWS IN HE NEXT FEW DAYS TO SHOW STANLEY AND JOHN COLEMAN ARE AS AMBITIOUS AND SERIOUS AS ANYONE IN LEAGUE TWO!!
WAIT, SEE AND AGREE!!
jiffy bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:43   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy bag View Post
KEEP FAITH MY FRIENDS!!
tRUST ME THERE WILL BE NEWS IN HE NEXT FEW DAYS TO SHOW STANLEY AND JOHN COLEMAN ARE AS AMBITIOUS AND SERIOUS AS ANYONE IN LEAGUE TWO!!
WAIT, SEE AND AGREE!!
That's one hell of a build up - you had better not be teasing!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:53   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
That's one hell of a build up - you had better not be teasing!

Check he didn't have his fingers crossed
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
Check he didn't have his fingers crossed
Well I'm keeping everything crossed.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:10   #90
Resting in Peace

Rafa Benitez may be having a clear-out after last night - Robbie Fowler, anybody?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..