Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2010, 16:10   #1
God Member

Kevin Long

John Coleman is set to complete the loan signing of Burnley defender Kevin Long.

Subject to paperwork, the 20-year-old will move to the Crown Ground tomorrow for an initial month, with the option to extend his stay.

Coleman is delighted the tall centre back, who only joined the Clarets from Cork City for a six-figure fee in January, is on the verge of making the short journey down the M65 to become a Red

“He’s played for Republic of Ireland under 21s," said the boss. "He has got a good pedigree and he’s had a good grounding at Burnley so he’s not coming here as a fresh faced kid, he’s been over here for a while. It’ll be a different style of football to what he’s used to playing in League Two and hopefully he’ll cope and adapt."

Accrington Stanley

Strange one this; we have about three or four defenders who haven't got a league game yet. However it's certainly a nice change from being bare bones to having strength in depth.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2010, 16:28   #2

Re: Kevin Long

Probably a sign there is a reason the other lads haven't played yet
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 16:54   #3
Senior Member+

With Hessey returning to his Macclesfield town form, I think this might be the end of his 1st team participation until the heavy christmas schedule.

This lad we have signed is good, to good for league 2 and will enhance our defence.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:13   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
This lad we have signed is good, to good for league 2 and will enhance our defence.

Wouldn't build him up too much just yet. Judas did that when he brought him over from Ireland and he has a long way to go yet to break in to the first team at Burnley.

I think he'll do the job, but as for too good for League 2 lets see how he gets on.
Old 14-10-2010, 17:42   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Wouldn't build him up too much just yet. Judas did that when he brought him over from Ireland and he has a long way to go yet to break in to the first team at Burnley.

I think he'll do the job, but as for too good for League 2 lets see how he gets on.
How much did he pay for the lad 30 pieces of silver
Old 14-10-2010, 17:58   #6
Senior Member+

Time will tell.

Abit harsh on Hessey there Dav.

He was outstanding for the 1st 8 or so games of the season, its only the last couple he has been off, (along with ALL of the back 4)

Fingers crossed he can come in and do a job, im just hoping he will play more than Johnny Flynn did when he was here last season.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 18:31   #7
Senior Member+

if nothing else will add height at the back so apparently lacking at Bury
Old 14-10-2010, 18:31   #8
God Member

Having seen him play a few times for the Clarets Reserves he has improved under Ashley Hoskin at Burnley.

It is probably a more frantic pace in League Two and no doubt a big step up from reserve football but will be a good test for the lad and one I am sure he will succeed with given the chance.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 20:50   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Time will tell.

Abit harsh on Hessey there Dav.

He was outstanding for the 1st 8 or so games of the season, its only the last couple he has been off, (along with ALL of the back 4)

I dont think I have been.
He was poor again on Saturday, I was rightfully raving about him at the start of the season but his game has deteriorted.

Regarding Kevin Long; both Everton and Man City where having a look at him, he is regarded as having a future in the game and he will improve us.
Im excited; the perfect remedy to our recent defensive collapse.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 21:59   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I dont think I have been.
He was poor again on Saturday, I was rightfully raving about him at the start of the season but his game has deteriorted.

Regarding Kevin Long; both Everton and Man City where having a look at him, he is regarded as having a future in the game and he will improve us.
Im excited; the perfect remedy to our recent defensive collapse.
fair point fella from going to having a defence like alcatraz we are gifting goals and despite any form of misguided loyalty it's points that count
Old 14-10-2010, 22:59   #11
Senior Member+

Surely not good on the rest of the defenders that have been on bench, but suppose will add more compertition,

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 00:48   #12
Full Member+

Some valid points, mainly being that we've shipped 11 in four games, however I thought Hessey was switched at Bury on Saturday due to the fact that Ajose was licking him for pace???

I wasn't there so couldn't possibly comment with confidence, however, What I've seen of Hessey in home games, he shows he has the experience, although like those of us who have gone beyond the 30 year old mark, his pace probably can't cope with a spring heeled kid who would leave him for dead in a sprint....

The lads playing at full back are still learning their trade, so whilst they're going to make mistakes, I don't think it's fair to be overly critical.

Phil has had a dodgy couple of games, very unlike Mr Consistent,however by all accounts, all have been told that the recent defensive performances are not acceptable by the dynamic duo.

In my personal opinion, I do think that the recent problems stem from the fact that we seem to be relucatant to change shape. If you're a visiting scout, once they've sussed the formation and how we like to play, If we're reluctant to mix it up a bit and change from time to time, It will make it easier for the opposition to set a gameplan.

I know we're lacking in the forwards department, but to stick to the same old 4-2-3-1 formation, to me at least spells out why we've only won 3 out of 11......

O.K.... we've only lost the 2.....to sides who will probably be up at the summit and fighting out the automatic promotion slots, but it also makes it easier for the sides (who we should be beating if we want to be up in the mix for the play-offs, who we should be taking three points from instead of just the one from a draw) for them to suss us out and set out their stall accordingly.

The suspensions from the Bury game will force change, however, we've now got three forwards on the books; and as far as I know...(and I will stand corrected ) none are injured or carrying an injury which would be serious enough to rule them out of the Rotherham game.

Personally the 4-2-3-1 formation works.... BUT only at certain times and only against inferior opposition and I personally think we should employ that formation only where and when it's appropriate...but That's Coley's decision........but I feel we need to switch and adapt if we're to challenge for the play offs and get wins.

That said....this side won't need to worry about getting embroiled in a relegation dogfight, unless we carry on our recent defensive frailties or we become too predictable. For the latter of that last statement, I believe we have to mix it up a bit.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 08:57   #13
Senior Member+

Its Alright being a big young lad,but apart from probably in the air,what will he bring to the team? vocal,passing,experience? i have not seen him play so wont comment on him ( wish him all the best tho),but Accis new style of playing from the back,requires good technique and confidence in the players around you.
Hope he doesnt get thrown in like the last young lad from Everton,who proved to be way out of his depth.
Remember when Tom Lees made his debut at centre back against Oldham and was quickly moved out to fullback were he starred all season and gained experience and has now moved effortlessly back into his prefered position at Bury.
From experience, its a massive step up from reserve team footy to the 2nd Div.
Has anyone seen Owens play for the reserves ? I still find it puzzling why a young lad with good technique and a bit of experience has not been banging on the door, unless hes stuggling with niggly injuries or something
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 12:54   #14
Senior Member+

he's got the number 5 shirt, and goes straight into the squad for tomorrows game

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 17:59   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon;852196t wins.:o

[COLOR=Red
That said....this side won't need to worry about getting embroiled in a relegation dogfight, [/COLOR]unless we carry on our recent defensive frailties or we become too predictable.
Spoken with some confidence seeing that The Reds are only five points clear of Northampton...in 22nd place...third from bottom !...
Care WILL be needed !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..