Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2012, 21:17   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Latish Plymouth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
In short to avoid ranting:

Send Toto back to Everton; Antwi comparisons hilarious.
Send Evans back. Moves badly, doesn't pick head up, can't pick a pass.
Devitt could be brilliant.
Change the formation Paul. Don't be scared to revamp with your own ideas as since the Barnet defeat we haven't been as good as we can be (even against Gills we conceded 3).
Plus, of course, give Murdoch a chance.
Old 18-02-2012, 22:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
In short to avoid ranting:

Send Toto back to Everton; Antwi comparisons hilarious.
Send Evans back. Moves badly, doesn't pick head up, can't pick a pass.
Devitt could be brilliant.
Change the formation Paul. Don't be scared to revamp with your own ideas as since the Barnet defeat we haven't been as good as we can be (even against Gills we conceded 3).
agree with above and also with Wynn about Murdoch.

Last thing, we no longer have a ball winning scrapping midfielder (Proccy) and we didn't press the ball when they had it? they pressed and harried us when they lost possession. Very poor today. Smith will score many more if he gets the service from either wide or threaded through balls.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 09:52   #33
Senior Member+

Now that the dust has settled,it was plainly obvious we struggled to take on board the shape and patterns of play that cooky likes to play.At one point I struggled to read our formation,although the pitch and conditions didn't help.
Fans will have to accept it won't be a quick transition and it's not easy to change overnite .
I bet no one has even seen so many passes go astray from our middle three who tried to thread there way through a well organised team.
Indeed they never pressed the ball and just retreated to the half-way line,allowing our defenders to have the ball.
They just waited off us to force the passes and capitalise on our mistakes.
Besides devitt,the positives to come out the match are that cooky will learn far more about the players in defeat than victory.
My only little moan is the new defending patterns is not my cup of tea,upto yesterday,results say we have been reasonably successful at it.
For example on one of our few breaks in the second half,our front three still encountered seven defenders,whilst when they attacked,we were nearly man for man(last goal murph was left one v one in our area !).
Just hope the lads take on board quickly what cooky wants,as I suspect he will just replace them!!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 09:54   #34
Senior Member+

Anybody know how long Hessey is out for??????????
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:01   #35
Senior Member+

Can't See Hess playing for a while and we miss his experience,
Old 19-02-2012, 10:03   #36
Senior Member+

Bad news
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:29   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Anybody know how long Hessey is out for??????????

As Sean said in passing...' four weeks possibly !!'...and Oh how we needed him yesterday to support Deano ( Who, to say he had his hands full due to little support from those around him played exceptionally well !! ).
New patterns of play were in evidence but unfortunately not everyone seemed to be able to find their role in these...BUT..It's only been a few days into Paul Cook's 'reign of change and success'..and I feel certain that the players at the Crown have enough nous to take on board all that Paul's experience and talent can teach them.
As F19 and I agreed upon at half-time the surface did little to help the Red's cause...perhaps the 'Billiard-Table' at Gresty Road (If it still exists!)...will be more conducive to a slick-passing game ?...hope so !..
See you there !!...

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 11:21   #38
Full Member+

We seem to lose to teams lower than ourselves but yesterday was embarassing.I was tempted to go and play with the little cat that has made an appearance as this would entertain me better than the match itself. Hope for a better game at Crewe.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 15:54   #39

Couldn't get there yesterday, watched Dan's live text.
At 22mins he was commenting on a rainbow over the Coppice... a bit later, he told us it was hailstoning.... says all about the action (or is that inaction?) on the pitch.
Can only get better!!
I think that one thing that PC can take from JC's reign, is his famous catch-phrase...

KEEP THE FAITH!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 17:17   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Couldn't get there yesterday, watched Dan's live text.
At 22mins he was commenting on a rainbow over the Coppice... a bit later, he told us it was hailstoning.... says all about the action (or is that inaction?) on the pitch.
Can only get better!!
I think that one thing that PC can take from JC's reign, is his famous catch-phrase...

KEEP THE FAITH!
Thing is fer me, agree wi yeh, I reckon if the new lad from Hull on loan,is a sample of the type of player cookie wants, Things will certainly get better,given time.
Old 19-02-2012, 19:03   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
Last thing, we no longer have a ball winning scrapping midfielder (Proccy)
We do have that player but he was at full back.

Last home game Murph made us all forget about losing Proccy and for me you need him as part of that middle three. Hughes and Barnett play the same game and there isn't room on the pitch for both of them.

Thought we played better when moving from 4-2-3-1 from the 4-3-3 we started with - the problem in the first half was getting the ball between the halfway line and their penalty area because the 3 up front were all pushing onto their backline and with the knowledge that neither hughes nor joyce are ever going to make that bursting run through the middle it's easy enough defensively just to mark the pass and leave the man.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 19:38   #42
Senior Member+

100% agree Sam,some very good points there,hope other teams haven't Sussed this,but I suspect they will have.
Old 19-02-2012, 22:04   #43
Full Member+

Quote:
We do have that player but he was at full back.

Last home game Murph made us all forget about losing Proccy and for me you need him as part of that middle three. Hughes and Barnett play the same game and there isn't room on the pitch for both of them.
Agree 100% and the thing which concerned/concerns me is the fact that our new manager was not or had not been made aware of this. I have watched the Reds since the 1950's and can count on one hand the times I have left before the end. On Saturday I left with 20mins to go, not just because of what was going on on the pitch, (including the team selection as pointed out by Sam,) but what was also happening from the bench. To send on a winger who can cross the ball, then take off a guy who not only scored a hat-trick in the last home game, but is tall enough to get on the end of crosses, smacks of managerial naivety. I COULD also mention Dunbavin, though maybe that's cruel, but SOMEBODY picked him! I look forward to being proved wrong.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 22:50   #44
Senior Member+

The other strange one was when devitt came on,for a short time,Evans was pushed into centre mid!!,but I think smiths head was down,having not been given a kick by purse,so moving podge up top wasn't a bad idea.As I have previously mentioned,cooks coaching methods are a little different,and will take time to adjust to,but he is a top class coach and I am not concerned we may go two steps back,to go three forward and I am sure most fans accept this.
Ps- we did lose our capt and two centre backs,plus our most creative player!!,which hasn't helped
Old 19-02-2012, 22:58   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Evans recently to me, never seems to have his head up? Perhaps woulda done Smith a bit of good to get some decent service? Was too many of the lads, not at the races on sat, Joyce who i rate, hardly made a decent pass in 90 mins.

Last edited by cashman; 19-02-2012 at 23:04.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..