Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2010, 17:07   #151
Senior Member+

Re: Lincoln Match Thread

no hes no duffer but thats 2 decent games in 20 mate, not good enough for me.

Maybe hes 1 for the future and may come through next season like Bobby Grant has.

And how Turner can compete with Ryan?????

They are different types of players and both should be in the starting XI
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2010, 17:21   #152
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
no hes no duffer but thats 2 decent games in 20 mate, not good enough for me.

Maybe hes 1 for the future and may come through next season like Bobby Grant has.

And how Turner can compete with Ryan?????

They are different types of players and both should be in the starting XI
I'm sure there are more examples than those two

I think we've got to remember that Sean's come through from non-league at a very young age and this is a tough league. Not every player can come from nowhere and do a Gary Roberts. This stuff about him being picked because he's Jimmy's nephew is embarassing. He's a young lad finding it tough but the quality is there and I think we'll see it develop in time.

Jimmy Ryan plays on the right more often than not to accommodate Joyce and Procter in the middle. We lose a lot when Joyce is out of the side and that's why Turner will be competing with Ryan for a start.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 17:23   #153
God Member

Smile Re: Lincoln Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Maybe my team is abit drastic but Miles & Mcconville MUST be on the bench.

Simple as
Sorry Smudgie, I may not have put it across properly, I do not disagree, all I am saying is we should have looked at this in earlier games, that is all!! I fear that too much change on Saturday will be a problem!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 17:37   #154
God Member

I think Sean will go on to have a decent career at Stanley unfortunately that time is just not yet, it will come but sticking with the same old eleven is now costing us points.

If Chris is anywhere near fit play the lad the only way you get match fit is to play matches, we don't have huge fixture list of reserve game to get the edge back to peoples game's.

I personally would even look at putting Granty back on the left which is his natural position with a licence to bomb on and support Symes maybe as a lone striker or push Billy up with Symes.

I would even contemplate five across midfield with Joyce if he is fit in behind as a sweeper with a back three intead of four.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 18:02   #155
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I'm sure there are more examples than those two

I think we've got to remember that Sean's come through from non-league at a very young age and this is a tough league. Not every player can come from nowhere and do a Gary Roberts. This stuff about him being picked because he's Jimmy's nephew is embarassing.
I agree, it is embarassing, but only because it seems to be the only reason he keeps his place after a string of very poor performances. Poor old Gary King has not been indulged like this at all. After a good, goal-scoring appearance away at Grimsby he was dropped and has hardly had a look in since, apart from the Northampton game, a real tuffie on a night when the whole team was outplayed. Coley says this is the best squad we have ever had, but you would never know it from the way he plays the favourites to exhaustion. Even Wayne Rooney is rested from time to time.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 18:06   #156
Senior Member+

well put redraine
Old 17-02-2010, 18:22   #157
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Dunno about that. The way I see it Chris needs to regain match fitness by making more cameo appearances, then once he's good to go it's about him versus Jimmy Ryan/Luke Joyce for a starting spot. Chris is a great talent and a different option for our midfield but I'm not convinced that he should walk into the side with the options we have this season.

McConville is struggling and playing poorly of late, but on occasion he does show great promise. That cross for Paul Mullin versus Walsall, the performance he put in against Rochdale away... he's no duffer.
ya only get cameo appearances if coley wakes up n smells the coffee. last night n many others fer instance, McConville i agree is playing crap,as miles is at the moment,but miles is "always" more likely to pop up wi summat IMHO. its not about turner walking into the side as seems to me no buggar can do that, so yer wasting yer breath talking about our options if they aint used.
Old 17-02-2010, 19:39   #158
Senior Member+

I wasn't at last night's game but I have re-read Dan's comments and it confirmed what I thought at the time, namely that the threats were mainly coming from deliveries by John Miles. I agree with Cashy that he should keep his place - IF he is fully fit, and I'm not sure that he is. He is the one who is able to slide the ball through the channels for Bobbie Grant and Michael Symes to run on to. I've been looking through some of the video highlights and it's interesting to see how many goals he has in fact set up.

He isn't the Jimmy Ryan terrier type, nor the Proccy cover-every-blade-of-grass type but I'm convinced he is the one with vision who can create a chance from very little.

Just my opinion!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 19:45   #159
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
, McConville i agree is playing crap,as miles is at the moment,but miles is "always" more likely to pop up wi summat IMHO. .
I think we'd all agree that the team cannot afford to carry passengers through games.

Miles has been pedestrian, at best, from what I've seen of him lately and if reports from those who went last night are to be believed and McConville still has an awful lot to learn. Like others have said, he's probably one for the future and maybe we'll see him in a better light next season, when hopefully he will have "filled out" a little (i.e. making him not as easy to muscle off the ball)and learned from his experiences from this season.

For my money,like others have said, Coley has to give Turner some game time.Whether it's the cameo role others have suggested, or a start and play him for an hour, then sub him. Turner has already shown undoubted potential and the lad has shown he's not afraid to "put a shift in"..... Better to play someone with that attitude, fully fit or not, than carry a passenger.

As for Dunbavin....why has Coley dropped Boozer??? on the strength of a mistake or two at Northampton ??? As has been said earlier, defenders always play better when they have confidence that there is a decent keeper behind them. In my opinion, Dunbavin doesn't fit into that equation.

Id start the Bradford game with the following: (4-5-1)

Boozer
Lees Kempson Edwards Winnard

Grant Ryan Joyce ( if fit ) Proctor Turner

Symes.

With Grant and Turner on the flanks and pushing forward, it'd effectively be playing 4-3-3 when going forward.

Drop McConville & Miles to the bench. Maybe giving both time to warm the wood (so to speak!! )and reflect on their recent performances, it might make 'em a bit hungrier???

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 20:59   #160
Senior Member+

Swap Grant & Turner for their correct wings and that looks a winner to me

Im assuming Bouza was dropped for letting in 4 at Northampton. Obviously the 1st goal was very soft and does go down as a mistake, but it really would have been a rugby score if it wasnt for him in the first half.

So he gets 1 mistake and hes out, yet Miles & Mcconville seem to put in sub standard performances every week and still seem to play. 1 rule for him and 1 for another at the moment.

Maybe Turner isnt quite match fit yet, if so then fair enough have him on the bench but I think thats about 10 matches now he has been back on the bench and his total game time is about 7 minutes

Very disappointing to say the least.

Fingers crossed we bounce back on Saturday, but with Peter Taylor now running the show its going to be very difficult to say the least.
Old 17-02-2010, 21:06   #161
God Member

It's all about Balls

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 21:10   #162
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

only 1 way to get turner match fit if he aint n thats matches, also think McConville has more chance of progressing if used as a sub, it sure didn't do bobby grant any harm.
Old 17-02-2010, 21:11   #163
God Member

Tons of time left yet for at least the play offs. Get your chins up
Old 17-02-2010, 21:17   #164
Senior Member+

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 21:20   #165
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Tons of time left yet for at least the play offs. Get your chins up
quite agree dave, though wins breed confidence in teams, a losing streak can do the opposite, so summat on sat is vital imho.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..