Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2013, 20:20   #31

Re: More than a manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The tax money will have had to be paid by the 8th for Naismith to play on Saturday
Thanks for that
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2013, 20:21   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Do you actually know if the money had been paid in? or any cheque cleared?
Apart from the Portsmouth gate money I doubt they have seen the rest yet
Old 15-08-2013, 20:27   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Apart from the Portsmouth gate money I doubt they have seen the rest yet
That was my thought as well.
Old 15-08-2013, 21:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
To me, this sort of revelation proves two things.

Firstly we have an extremely committed manager, who had to resort to such a selfless gesture to stump up the necessary funds, to enable him to sign a key player integral to his own plans.

And secondly, for me at least, it would also shed a little light on why Leam probably decided that a No2 position at Chesterfield was a better prospect to him, than fire-fighting here at Stanley as our No1.

We're a League Two team in status, run on Conference level gates, backed up by the business / commercial ethos of a Unibond league outfit.

As a club, how much more negative press can we inflict on ourselves??? How many more times do we shoot ourselves in the foot???

And we wonder why the Accrington public don't come out in force to get behind it's team??

Those at the helm, i.e. those in power at Boardroom level, should be aware of one thing to be sure......There's only so many times you can wave SOS buckets around.

This club, namely it's commercial operation, needs to drag itself away from it's "tinpot" public image and start operating at the same level as it's playing staff.....professionally.

First off, Carpon, this is possibly the best post I've ever read.

From my perspective, the positives in this are:
- if this story is confirmed, then James Beattie is obviously taking his first job in management very seriously and is doing everything he possibly can to make sure he's successful, which can only be good for us.
- he's obviously a fella, who wants to uphold his reputation as a professional and within the game, as he has played at the very highest level.
- it shows he understands the club. He could have colour in the press bemoaning this, but has just got on with focusing on building the best side he can.

The Negatives:
- why oh why should our manager be put in this position.
- we need at least one credible person charged with running all aspects of the club on a day to day basis, to avoid these situations again and to at least manage some of the publicity around situations like this. I won't get on my leadership soapbox!
- if we are living above our means, cut our cloth accordingly.
- the club and indeed it's reps on this forum could have come out and told the full truth here to give us the full picture, but I feel they've been economic with the truth, especially with regard to the exact position with HMRC.

It never dull supporting our club!
ianray likes this.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 22:13   #35

It's like Groundhog Day supporting Stanley
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 23:11   #36
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Gob smacked yet again well done JB you've saved the stanley from more embarisment The club needs help from someone who knows how to get some much needed funds in on a regular basis, retail side and the on line retail side needs help big style no disripect to keil and dan ithink !! The club needs LEWIS CARROLL back to run the whole show
smobile and ianray like this.

Last edited by mab; 15-08-2013 at 23:13.
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 23:28   #37
God Member

Quote:
Ironic that a club who couldnt get thier house in order aare being touted as helping Stanley out
rangers have been the victim of a huge fraud , caused by loyds bank who forced through the sale of the club to craig whyte who has allegedly has links to Charles green the sfa said craig whyte was fit and proper which clearly isn't the case . now we have a bunch of spivs using the club as a cash cow. trouble is brewing as there is going to be a coup in a week and its not going to be pretty. hopefully the retail will get fixed pronto ive been on the Stanley merchandise website but there is nothing on.
Old 16-08-2013, 01:34   #38
Resting in Peace

I just hope disillusionment doesn't set in with JB long before his money is repaid.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 05:25   #39
God Member

The Bottom line is HMRC after everything that has happened they should be Top of any List regardless of anything else if they say jump then we say how high.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 05:55   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
The Bottom line is HMRC after everything that has happened they should be Top of any List regardless of anything else if they say jump then we say how high.
Reading between the lines, i think we did, Which is why Beats hadn't the available dosh to sign the lad? The guy is obviously interested in progression, sod all wrong wi that, Good on him.
Old 16-08-2013, 06:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Gob smacked yet again well done JB you've saved the stanley from more embarisment The club needs help from someone who knows how to get some much needed funds in on a regular basis, retail side and the on line retail side needs help big style no disripect to keil and dan ithink !! The club needs LEWIS CARROLL back to run the whole show
Afriend of mine and he knows what he's talking about says the best man to replace ROB HEYS is PAUL FLETCHER ex BURNLEY footballer ?
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 07:03   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
In the grand scale of things the retail side is a contributor but not a club saver. The biggest source of income would be to increase the gates, unfortunatley result dependent, and the commercial side. Now the situation is vacant Stanley somehow have to find a person who is really going to bring in the bigger money from sponsors etc. To do that you have to pay bigger wages which can only come from somebody who is bringing the money in. Vicious circle
Old 16-08-2013, 07:26   #43
Senior Member+

It may be a stupid question but who actually owns the club/assets etc..???
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 09:27   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
In the grand scale of things the retail side is a contributor but not a club saver. The biggest source of income would be to increase the gates, unfortunatley result dependent, and the commercial side.
Absolutely correct, Dave. But the retail side is, or should be, more than a generator of income. It should also be a generator of interest; it should generate good vibes about the club. Potential large-scale sponsors will want a return on their sponsorship - they will want people involved and looking at their own product as well as looking at ASFC. At the moment, all that the outsider sees is apathy and lethargy. A thriving retail outlet (or two, or three) would be evidence of dynamism. Where is the "can do" attitude? It's all "can't do" with the usual reasons - too few staff, small town twixt Burnley and Blackburn, etc etc.

Where is the communication between club and fans? We don't want to know confidential information but some kind of meaningful communication would be helpful. Mr T and Valairian do a great job - but they need support. We only need to look through various recent threads to see examples. Just one - someone asked about the take-up of free season tickets that were offered to youngsters. I don't think that was ever answered - and surely it's not confidential. This thread is yet another example. By letting the national press present the story in its own way, the club was on the back foot.

It all gives a very poor impression. Again as others have said, we are a professional footballing team with an embarrassingly amateurish off-the-field approach. Let's be optimistic and assume that results will be good and therefore attendances will increase. The new supporters would certainly be unhappy about the current lack of retail back-up. The inability to buy tickets online is another problem. Yes, people can ring up to buy them - but not in the evening. And again, it gives a bad impression of the club.

Last edited by Revived Red; 16-08-2013 at 09:29.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 09:43   #45

At Monday's OSC meeting it was said that 42 youngsters had
taken up the offer of a free season ticket.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..