Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2008, 18:27   #16
Senior Member+

Re: No way to treat Ex-Landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
watch out sunday last year at rochdale think im right in saying we had 26 ejected for not sitting down
You're perfectly right Mab, I was sitting in the front row and actually heard the 'Head' Steward ( or Head Obersturmbarnfuhrer !) suggesting which of the Ultras, who were doing nothing at all to warrant any sort of reprisal, to single out and eject from the ground !.

A little power, backed up by a Yellow Jacket and an Armlet bearing the Official Steward motif, really can turn even a decent Human Being into one who seeks more and more authority....Until somebody whacks them !!..

A realisation that visiting fans are not an unruly tribe of yobs who have turned up, not to support their Team (However noisily!, but are Hell-bent on causing some sort of Third World War, as the report rearding Mansfield
so vividly outlines!, does appear to be beyond the reasoning of these sad individuals !.

It seems that the Club involved also comes under severe criticism..
They must know the failing Intellectual and Emotional makeup of their
Stewards, Yet they direct these individuals to where their warped sense of Duty can be most easily be put into action !.

I only hope that Sunday's Stewards at Spotland, don't once again fit into this Scenario !!

'WHAT ME WORRY ?'....About any form of discrimination, I DO !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2008, 13:16   #17
Senior Member+

Follow up, again from Bulls News

After advice from the FSF, Football Supporters Association, an e-mail detailing the treatment of Hereford United supporters by the stewards at Mansfield last Tuesday has been sent to the Football Safety Officers Association.

The FSOA aims to improve safety at football grounds, promulgate best practice, enhance the role of stewards and develop safety officers’ expertise.

The organisation was formed after the Hillsborough Disaster in 1989 and was inaugurated on the 29th October 1992. Football clubs from all leagues in England and Wales are represented by safety officers, their deputies and stadium managers. The FSOA is divided into six regions

Useful address for us to have, I'm not surprised people have mentioned Rochdale, and I'd never go to Stockport again.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 14:04   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
watch out sunday last year at rochdale think im right in saying we had 26 ejected for not sitting down
To be fair (and we had this discussion in depth last year) there are signs all over the place asking people to sit in the seats and stating that standing was not allowed. By buying a ticket into the ground you agree to comply with the rules and regulations of the venue, whether you agree with them or not.

People were asked numerous times to sit down and they wouldn't comply. I even remember certain people trying to get others to stand with them, even the ones who were happily seated.

Anyone who was 'thrown out' last season was asking for it and have no right to complain.
Old 15-03-2008, 14:30   #19
Senior Member+

A decent atmosphere cannot be created with everyone sat down. With as many folk passionate about "backing" the team as we have at ASFC, this will always happen. If there'd have been 4,000 fans standing they would have chucked NO-ONE out! Rochdale stewards were cowards, & believe me lots got thrown out who didn't deserve it.

I still believe in the magic of supporting your team so to hear a fellow fan believe that being turfed out for the crime of standing behind a plastic seat (at the back!) is justified ; it just makes me want to cry.... There is common sense stewarding all over the place in L2, & only clubs like Mansfield, Stockport etc ruin it.

It'll be like a theatre in 2015 with only the sound of popcorn & fizzy pop to be heard from the terraces.

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 15:17   #20
Senior Member+

I understand where you're coming from Jase, but I'm afraid 'what we want and what we get' are two different things. If you enter a venue knowing the rules and you decide that you are going to break them, then you can expect to be dealt with.

To be fair, last season at Stockport the 'big end' behind the goal generated some amazing atmosphere (a wall of sound) and they were all seated. It is possible to generate atmosphere and support your team from a seated position, but most of us would prefer not to do that and stand up instead, which is why we stand on the terrace at home games and not sit in the stand.

Unfortunately times have changed and the option to stand has been removed from some stadiums. I'm afraid we either have to move with times, or suffer the consequences. If anyone decides they are going to break the requirements of these stadiums where standing is not allowed, then they really do deserve to be removed, whether we like it or not.
Old 15-03-2008, 15:44   #21
Senior Member+

Personally, I'll just continue to "suffer" the consequences, its something I believe in! Sad as it may seem. Being thrown out in League 2 is something I'll get used to

I've also been stood behind seats at Hibernian, Hearts, Rangers & Motherwell without a steward making us sit..... This is with a packed Baberdeen end & more police than you'll ever seen. Stewards allow you to stand .... They enforce safety with common sense!

BTW West Ham just scored against Rovers ...

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 18:38   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
Personally, I'll just continue to "suffer" the consequences, its something I believe in!
.... Stewards allow you to stand .... They enforce safety with common sense!
Belief is very important, in my day we had anti Vietnam, anti apartheid, well all sorts really, to get hassled about.

This common sense, you keep mentioning, maybe it's a two way thing, when the stewards have obviously got an agenda then it's stay away or sit down.

Stewards can be fine, but personally I'm never comfortable with anyone in a uniform. Having lived in Sheffield, the words Rhino whips and crowd control spring easily to mind, (long before Hillsborough).

These days I prefer humour, stewards don't like it when they're laughed at, usually because they don't get it.

And I wonder why that is.

Old 15-03-2008, 22:52   #23
God Member

Quote:
A decent atmosphere cannot be created with everyone sat down. With as many folk passionate about "backing" the team as we have at ASFC, this will always happen. If there'd have been 4,000 fans standing they would have chucked NO-ONE out! Rochdale stewards were cowards, & believe me lots got thrown out who didn't deserve it.

I still believe in the magic of supporting your team so to hear a fellow fan believe that being turfed out for the crime of standing behind a plastic seat (at the back!) is justified ; it just makes me want to cry.... There is common sense stewarding all over the place in L2, & only clubs like Mansfield, Stockport etc ruin it.

It'll be like a theatre in 2015 with only the sound of popcorn & fizzy pop to be heard from the terraces.
agree with you a thousand percent there is already a campaign started about bringing back the terraces where there isnt any.the only thing is the murdoch press dont report it, because they are part of the money making machine that is ripping off the supporters and it will be against their interests .seating and heavy handed stewards spoil it for seasoned supporters ....
Old 15-03-2008, 23:56   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
..the only thing is the murdoch press dont report it, because they are part of the money making machine ....
Murdoch? Kinda scottish feel to that, Jock. Mind you, don't disagree,

Quote:
.... There is common sense stewarding all over the place in L2, & only clubs like Mansfield, Stockport etc ruin it.

a) then just behave accordingly (it's not rocket science, and it's no big deal)

b)any sound would be welcome at some grounds already, never mind 2015.

Old 01-04-2008, 15:52   #25
God Member

Mansfield: capacity cut by 50%

BBC NEWS | England | Nottinghamshire | Stags capacity cut for crunch tie

Apparently they were making good progress towards fan safety, I'm sure EX-landlord agrees.

Last edited by Redash; 01-04-2008 at 15:53. Reason: spelling
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 17:02   #26
God Member

they had their capcity cut even further than that at some point last season. It went down to about 3500 if I remember rightly.

Shouldn't bother them too much - they've had less than 3000 many weeks this season
Old 01-04-2008, 18:05   #27
I am Banned

Macca & all,

The problem is that for membership of the Football League it is a requirement for a 5000 (useable) capacity.

Dispensation is given for new arrivals ( ASFC ) for 1 season only. On a techincality Mansfield are breaking the rules. If Mansfield don't get there capacity increased on the "S" factor they will be "demoted" whatever position they finish in.

That's why is vital at ASFC we continue to jump thro the many hoops LCC( our safety certificate issuer) impose on us as we need the whole of our atcual capacity 5075 to remain in FL membership.

For our 1st season in the league, we were only operating on a "S" factor of 85% ( whilst on trial) with around 4600 allowed in the ground. This year due to the competance of the stewards and the hard work of Mick S our "S" factor has increased to 100%, which allows us to admit 5075 people.

This is the 2nd time this season Notts CC have lost faith in Mansfield safety people, hence why at times they appear to be "jobsworth's"!

Interesting times ahead!!
southernred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:46   #28
God Member

next season they'll have possibly the best ground 25% full in the Conference!

but if Wrexham go down will Wales continue to play the occasional game on a non league ground?
Old 02-04-2008, 20:00   #29
Senior Member+

The award for the worst stewards in league 2 goes to..... Shrewsbury Town.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..