Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 11:09   #1
Resting In Peace

Our Defence

.....or lack of it.

Once again we have been let down by our defence. Only Darlington have conceded more goals than us this season and we have conceded the most goals at home. Unfortunately, once again I have to say - 'If we had a defence we would be dangerous'
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2010, 11:20   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Our Defence

WHAT DEFENCE?
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43   #3
God Member

Five successive defeats. The defence rests, m'lord.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:44   #4

But who would you replace ? individually they are great. Is it a case of bringing in a new defensive coach ? Do we have a defensive coach ?

It seems to me as though we play great all game apart from odd 5 mins here and there when one of the defenders decides to go and make a brew or wonder off in search of daisies, thus leaving us exposed at the back.

I couldnt believe we was 2-0 up yesterday when infact if it wasnt for Boozer we would of been 4-2 down.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45   #5
Senior Member+

Agreed for once with Jeff.

In my humble opinion it all starts with the man between the sticks at the back, and unfortunately at the moment Bouza seems all over the place, whilst Bav's is simply not consistent enough to be a League 2 keeper.

Our defence as we know has been leaking goals all season long, but as long as we kept scoring more it was never a problem until now when you could almost drive an arctic truck through our defence.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:59   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it to me as always started wi the man between the sticks, Defenders need confidence in that very man, which then generates throughout the side, the only way i see fer this to be properly addressed is by the mangement to stop playing "Happy Families" n "Jobs fer the Boys" n get "PROFESSIONAL" were in the league now fer gods sake.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:06   #7

Its not just whats behind the back four,but whats in front,ie defend from the front.The front two aren't working hard enough to close down,and there is also very little protection in front of the back four,with both central midfielders caught forward,and struggle to get back when the oppostion attack,thats were I would expect someone like John Mullin with all his experience to just sit in front of the back four and put his foot on the ball, a la Paul Cook.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:37   #8
God Member

Unless Jimmy Ryan was injured, it was a gigantic mistake to take him off. Luke Joyce had to come on because our midfield was as leaky as a colander (putting the already shaky defence under great pressure) but Jimmy Ryan was the only midfield player with any real attacking impetus. Aside from the great assist for the goal, Chris Turner was struggling as was Procter - either should've made way before Jimmy.

McCarten had a nightmare. Perhaps he's still feeling the effects of the illness that kept him from travelling on Saturday but he didn't do anything right. Hopefully we'll see Flynn make another appearance at the expense of Kempo. When he gets frustrated it helps no one.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41   #9
Senior Member+

I agree Shaker.

Im just hoping the rumours on why Ryan was taken off arent true.
Old 06-04-2010, 13:09   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
I agree Shaker.

Im just hoping the rumours on why Ryan was taken off arent true.
Rumours? a guy told us he was limping at half time.
Old 06-04-2010, 13:52   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth official View Post
Its not just whats behind the back four,but whats in front,ie defend from the front.The front two aren't working hard enough to close down,and there is also very little protection in front of the back four,with both central midfielders caught forward,and struggle to get back when the oppostion attack,thats were I would expect someone like John Mullin with all his experience to just sit in front of the back four and put his foot on the ball, a la Paul Cook.
Know what yer saying, but disagree Billy Kee drops back regular, stands on post to defend corners n in effect works his ass off every game, unless i'm watching a differant game.
Old 06-04-2010, 14:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Know what yer saying, but disagree Billy Kee drops back regular, stands on post to defend corners n in effect works his ass off every game, unless i'm watching a differant game.

I was meaning more in open play to close down opposition full backs,eg Rush & Beardsley ,everybody drops back at corners,Symes also does a good job at defending the near post.I have always said it would be interesting when defending corners if a team left 2 players up front,one wide on each touchline,how would they be marked?
Old 06-04-2010, 16:13   #13
God Member

Smile Re: Our Defence

We have a few problems in defence, we do not have a LB, so we are playing one of our many CB's there and though, I do not doubt his commitment and attitude, he does get caught out and the main reason for that, is he is playing out of position

Tom Lees was great for about 25/30 games, but has really gone off the boil, he struggles to pass to anybody on his own Team these days.

The main thing, is what most of us think, we do not have a No1 keeper, all this chopping and changing, helps nobody, least of all the four in front of him, Boozer will be out and Bavs back in on Saturday and the whole thing will start again!!

We need a good keeper - Kenny Arthur type, who will always be in goal, then the defence is built around him

In Phil and Kempo, we have two good CB's, but we need one either side and one behind, to help move us forward next season

Just my humble opinion

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 16:19   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth official View Post
I have always said it would be interesting when defending corners if a team left 2 players up front,one wide on each touchline,how would they be marked?
They would keep at least three of the opposition defenders near them, which would leave 9 Stanley players to defend the corner against 7 opponents. And it would give Stanley's defence two options when hoofing the ball out. Of course, they might opt for the third option and hoof it down the middle, where there wasn't a Stanley player.
But I too can't understand why Stanley's attacking 'wide' men drift in to the middle whenever play is on the opposite wing; it's almost as if they have been told to mark the opposition's full back, not stay away from him.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:56   #15
Senior Member+

Bring back king kenny arthur

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..