Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2008, 13:45   #31

Re: Player of the Year voting

neither could Ian .
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2008, 14:00   #32

mullin is our rightback,leftback,centrehalf,rightwing,left wing and striker if every player had his effort and stamina we would walk this league. the others just stand there scratching there arse waiting for someone else to do the work. Im afraid to say they dont train hard enough because our fitness levels this season apart from mullin have been well under par. If any fathers take there lads to see and learn qualities to enhance there game then there in the wrong place because most of them cant even kick the ball straight let alone unveil a modest step over. How some of these players (not just stanley) made it i do not know, it must be the old cliche ''its who you know not what you know''.

will i still go and pay my money on this tripe? probably

You have to pay 1 million for a player to be able to trap the ball. - Ron Atkinson.

Last edited by Jesus_was_A_red_; 20-04-2008 at 14:02.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 14:05   #33

here here
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 14:50   #34
God Member

Im very miffed about not being able to vote - seems to have all been very rushed to me, last year i got asked for my vote - this year not a wifff, couldnt make it to the match last minute & yet still denied a vote despite being a OSC member, im sorry i went on me jollys when all this was posted earlier in the week but something could of been mentioned before i went or asked by many other mediums to ensure

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 14:55   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_was_A_red_ View Post
mullin is our rightback,leftback,centrehalf,rightwing,left wing and striker if every player had his effort and stamina we would walk this league.
I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion. If every player had PM's effort and stamina, we would have 11 hard-working, hard-running players - maybe even marathon athletes - but not a winning football team. But what about tactics? What about the basic skills of football? What about the ability and guile to create an extra couple of yards of space? What about organising these 11 hard-working and hard-running individuals into a cohesive team, able to see and exploit weaknesses in the opposition?

In fact, I would go further and say that Paul Mullin's prodigious efforts in all areas of the field are not necessarily to our advantage. Our main striker should be in a position to do just that - strike - at every possible opportunity.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 14:58   #36
God Member

Think too much is demanded of Mully a massive expectation think altho he always gives 100% no denying it, he hasn't been a strong enough for the player of the year, mine would of gone to Liam Richardson think he has been the most consistant throughout the season.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 20-04-2008, 14:58   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
the one thing that amazed me when checking through the slips was that people would vote for Edwards as Player of the Year but not as Young Player of the Year!!!! Same again for Harris!!!!

if one of them was overall Player of the Year then surely they would be Young Player of the Year?
Not necessarily, given that McGivern, Mannix and Whalley weren't in the list for Player of the Year.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 15:00   #38
God Member

Young player of the year i would of liked to of seen Bobby Grant in there he'd of got my vote not that i can anyhow

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 20-04-2008, 15:03   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
.... but something could of been mentioned before i went or asked by many other mediums to ensure
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ing-38285.html see post 7 dated 6/4/8 Stanleymad. Alsoo discussed at March and February OSC meetings, at which you were present for both .

As I said though, you can't please everyone and neither can you wait for everyone (not just you, but others who said they wanted to doit after the game yesterday). Me and Harwood Red spent an hour and a half going through the slips yesterday and most all but the last 15/20 minutes of the game. Had we done it after the game it would have took a lot longer because of the noise etc so we would have had to have had a separate meet to determine the winners - and then may have had to drag somebody else in had the voting determined that. As you well know, we spend enough time doing things to have to add something else to the list.

And the other thing was that we needed to let the person who does the engraving know yesterday to allow her enough time to get them done.

Once again, sorry to those that did miss out, but over a 1000 people were given the opportunity.
Old 20-04-2008, 15:59   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion. If every player had PM's effort and stamina, we would have 11 hard-working, hard-running players - maybe even marathon athletes - but not a winning football team. But what about tactics? What about the basic skills of football? What about the ability and guile to create an extra couple of yards of space? What about organising these 11 hard-working and hard-running individuals into a cohesive team, able to see and exploit weaknesses in the opposition?

In fact, I would go further and say that Paul Mullin's prodigious efforts in all areas of the field are not necessarily to our advantage. Our main striker should be in a position to do just that - strike - at every possible opportunity.

Post of the year for me, is this! Surely we don't need to pay a fortune for a few players with a little bit of the old magic in their feet, as we have had in the past.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 18:55   #41

Alf Ramsay said of his 66 team ,these are not necessarily the best individual players in the country,but I consider them to be collectivley the best team.
It is surprising what success a well organised team can achieve without world class individuals.
The old Wimbledon side and todays Everton are good examples. Of course we at Stanley
will always struggle to attract top players, but if the Manager can mould the side and get them playing for him,give them some pride and instill some team ethic, we should be able to mantain A midtable position Quite easily next season.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 19:13   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The old Wimbledon side and todays Everton are good examples. Of course we at Stanley will always struggle to attract top players, but if the Manager can mould the side and get them playing for him,give them some pride and instill some team ethic, we should be able to mantain A midtable position Quite easily next season.
That is very true. Paul Fairclough at Barnet has achieved that and on a limited budget he has moulded a half-decent team. I suppose his contacts through the England C team has helped, plus a good technical mind.
Old 20-04-2008, 20:09   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
That is very true. Paul Fairclough at Barnet has achieved that and on a limited budget he has moulded a half-decent team. I suppose his contacts through the England C team has helped, plus a good technical mind.
Don't forget the Hereford boss, who has achieved great things this season without spending ANY money at all, I think. A marvellous achievement, considering they only had about 5 players on contract after shipping out a load of dead wood in the close season. He must have a hell of a coaching set up.
Old 20-04-2008, 22:07   #44
God Member

Hereford basically loaned 3/4 of a squad didn't they? I've nowt against it because anyone can do it but of course you do have to be lucky with the players you get in. The downside if they do go up (or even if they stay down) is that they will have to rebuild the squad again regardless. Some of the loanees may stay but I suspect that as part of a successful team their parent club will want them back.

No continuity
Old 20-04-2008, 22:52   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Hereford basically loaned 3/4 of a squad didn't they? I've nowt against it because anyone can do it but of course you do have to be lucky with the players you get in. The downside if they do go up (or even if they stay down) is that they will have to rebuild the squad again regardless. Some of the loanees may stay but I suspect that as part of a successful team their parent club will want them back.

No continuity
I think they had 7 on loan max., but the point is Turner has the ability to get the best out of his squad no matter how it is acquired. We forever seem to let good players come and go without getting the best from them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..