Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 18:11   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Plymouth match thread...........

I know that it's a cliche, but it really is a sign of how far we have come that we can go to big city clubs such as Plymouth and Bradford, and more than hold our own. When I signed up to the bandwaggon that is the modern Accy Stanley, in the days when Coley and Jimmy were still doing their stuff for us on the pitch, nobody could have possibly imagined that we would be where we are now. Well maybe Coley and Jimmy always had that vision. They were warriors on the pitch and have always built teams in their own image, the current crop being no exception! Great stuff; well done to all the lads and our little band of supporters.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2011, 18:57   #47
Senior Member+

Taken from their forum...........

"they had a very good striker called Guthrie who played cracking today, tall, powerful, good pace and a decent shot on him aswell"

Well played Kurtis
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 19:11   #48
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Taken from their forum...........

"they had a very good striker called Guthrie who played cracking today, tall, powerful, good pace and a decent shot on him aswell"
Great to hear, I'm hoping those who actually went today concur. Whilst it's great that we now have plently of attacking options by getting the lad Spray in on loan, I think we need to be getting game time into Kurtis and nurturing his talent. And there's no two better teachers at this level than Coley & Bell to get the best out of him !!!!

At 0-2 down and down to ten men, I really feared the worst.However it seems that he grit and determination showing from the Aldershot game shone through again today.

Although like Coley said in his post match interview today, we really shouldn't be giving ourselves a hill to climb. I think we're now seeing the side gelling together going forwards, it's at the back we now need to stiffen up / tighten up.

Tighten the defence up and we can really start climbing this league towards the end of the table where we would all love to see the Reds.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 19:22   #49

Lads, just got back... Thought you guys did outstanding in the 2nd half! 1st half, Argyle just seemed to over-run you in all departments, and the 1st goal was coming. Yes it was a penalty, but there was not a chance that it was a sending off. Yellow at most. Once they scored, they were piling on the pressure, and a second goal was always just around the corner. Whatever Coleman said at half time done the trick, as you came out a different side! Guthrie up top was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. Was always there, plucking every ball out of the air with his great touch. As for the challenge that Argyle kicked off about... It was basically the same sort of challenge that Leon Osman got sent off for in the Merseyside derby last week. You should have won the game, so many chances, while being down to 10 men made it that much better. All in all, I think it was a point gained, but also 2 points dropped as you could have easily won all 3 points.
ExeterLoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 21:07   #50
Senior Member+

Neil Warnock was at the match.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 22:15   #51
Senior Member+

A tremendous fight back in the 2nd half. And once again a great team effort. If Hessey deserved a red card, so did one of the Plymouth players in the 2nd half for a virtually identical offence but just outside the penalty area. And that merited only a yellow. Murphy's yellow was ridiculous - it was an excellent tackle in which he went for the ball and won it cleanly. The referee, yet again, was inconsistent (ok, he was useless). Ian Craney had a strong penalty shout turned down and Padraig Amond was the victim of some excessively heavy challenges that went unpunished.

Kurtis Guthrie was excellent - good control and good awareness. As an attacker, he was a handful for the Plymouth defence. But more than that, he chased and harried and hurried, never letting the Plymouth defenders settle. The only disappointment as far as I was concerned was Wes Fletcher who seemed sadly off the pace. Is he carrying an injury? We were much more threatening when Charlie came on.

We probably could/should have won. A couple of point-blank saves by the Plymouth keeper and a couple of goalmouth scrambles where the ball should have been poked into the net.

We certainly deserved a point.

I found the Plymouth fans to be very friendly and helpful.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 22:53   #52
Dan
Senior Member+

First and foremost, a terrific game of football.

Secondly, Stanley should have won.

Thirdly, Charlie Barnett changed the game when he came on and credit Coley for being brave and going for it with his system.

Fourthly, Kevin Long was utterly colossal again. In the second half Stanley only had one centre half, but you didn't notice. Don't think he missed a header. If he gets any better he won't be in the side. Cos he'll be playing in the Championship for Burnley.

Match report - ASFC News Story > 4346

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 23:01   #53
Dan
Senior Member+

The thoughts of Mr. Coleman

08-10 coleman plymouth reaction - YouTube

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:52   #54
Senior Member+

Mentioned it a few weeks ago,Longs ready to move up and play his football at an higher level.
Would be shocked if hes at Acci in January,top player and a great lad
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06   #55
Senior Member+

I always said it was fantastic of Coley to re-sign Kev

Let's just hope Eddie Howe forgets about him and let's us have him till the end of the season

Wes didnt look fit last week either to be honest.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:12   #56
God Member

Just watched the F.L. Show, some strike from Kurtis and I know it is an "If", but if that had gone in, I cannot help but think it would be the kick start that Kurtis needs!!!!!!!

19 Years in the Football League

VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45   #57
Senior Member+

Think if his attitudes right,Gutherie has a good chance of making a career out of football.
Hes got the basics of good touch,balance and size,but lets not forget hes only a young lad and is still developing/filling out etc...
I would like him to work on his movement and explosive pace( over 5 yards) and we could have a player on our hands in 6 to 12 months time.
Its a difficult league to learn your trade in league 2,but as a young centre forward its even harder!!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:16   #58
Resting in Peace

Another thing - we look a much more athletic side with proper socks on, instead of those awful bandy things!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:04   #59
God Member

After seeing the highlights, Hessey should never have been sent off and Plymouth's second saw a handball in the build-up.

We're lacking luck away from home and the longer this winless run continues, the luck will be more and more sparse. We just need that one win and a lot of things will fall into place.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 14:14   #60

Cracking day out yesterday, good game too despite the referee's best efforts to spoil it. Got a bit too bladdered and ended up falling asleep on the train back and missed my stop. £25 taxi from Exeter to Dawlish didn't even spoil the day out.

Cheers to all the Ultras for a great time and a good drink before and afterwards, looking forward to Wimbledon game now for my next away day. Hope you all had a great night round the barbican.

Ps. Message to Bubs - Enough is enough with the tobogganists joke !!!!!!
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..