Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 10:58   #1
Junior Member+

Quick Spot Of Help Please...

Morning all - we here at the un-official Aldershot website ShotsWeb are going to be including a little "brief" piece on each of the League Two clubs over the coming weeks (a quick history and who's out/in so far type thing) just so as our supporters a) Having something to read during the close season and b) to get us up to speed with "who's who" in the League.

Although we've done our own research on the boring stuff - but are hoping one or two of you would have a stab at these couple of questions so as we can include them with the preview:

1) From your Conference memories, how does the standard in League Two differ?

2) From what you've seen of Stanley since you gain promotion, how do you think you'll do next season (and why)?

3) Who are the current League Two clubs that we should be looking out for (and why)?

4) How do you think the clubs who came down from League One will cope (and why)?

5) ...And finally, have a guess - how do you think Aldershot will do next season (and why)?

Feel free to email me with your replies (or add them to this thread) at [email protected] and I'll be back begging with a few different ones before our two clubs face each other in the League clashes.

Those who have helped out the site before will remember the "and why" bit is the important part...

Thanks, for any help... as with last time, there's no money involved but you do get your username up in lights which is far more exciting. No honestly.

Mike

Last edited by Mike.Wray (ATFC); 07-05-2008 at 11:03. Reason: Change all the fonts back to normal (I hope)...
Mike.Wray (ATFC) is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2008, 11:26   #2
Full Member+

Re: Quick Spot Of Help Please...

A bit off the topic, but its nice to see The Shots back in the league!

First Accrington Stanley, and now Aldershot Town!

Who will be next?

The elusive AFC Wimbledon maybe?

Of even the new Scarborough??

Its great for football and the supporters alike!
fatgaz182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:32   #3
Junior Member+

I think it will be AFC Wimbledon if they can push on from the Rymans League soon. Would hate to see them getting stuck in there for too long.
Old 07-05-2008, 13:04   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Wray (ATFC) View Post
I think it will be AFC Wimbledon if they can push on from the Rymans League soon. Would hate to see them getting stuck in there for too long.
They are out of there mate ,they got promoted at weekend and will play in the Blue Square Conf. South next season
Old 07-05-2008, 16:11   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgaz182 View Post
Who will be next?
Barrow? They beat Telford (and Jags) 2-0 twice in the Conference North play-offs and now face Stalybridge at Burton on Friday for a place in next season's Conference.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:02   #6
Junior Member+

Good news about the Dons - I've been off work so not had my usual update from an old fella who supports them!

On the questions side of things - I've not had any replies, but am sending the article (you're lumped in with Barnet!) to be proof read - so no need to worry if you were about to sit down after your dinner and think up some answers
Old 07-05-2008, 23:38   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Wray (ATFC) View Post
1) From your Conference memories, how does the standard in League Two differ?

opposing teams seem more able to strike the killer blow. Defensive lapses are punished far more than they were in the Conference and break away goals seem to be on the up. Also there is far more emphasis put onto set plays as you would expect with the increase in training, fitness, coaching and facilities

2) From what you've seen of Stanley since you gain promotion, how do you think you'll do next season (and why)?

Next season will probably be more of the same. With all the will in the world unless you have money to comepte with the big boys you are left with taking scraps from the lower end of the league. After a disappointing season I would imagine we will be putting more effort into becoming harder to beat. John Coleman has stated many times that he does not settle for draws and would rather push for the win towards the end of a game. This season that philosophy has come unstuck because we are usually well beaten by the last ten minutes or concede whilst pushing for more. I hope that maybe we settle a bit more for the point next season - its important in terms of not letting teams around you gain any extra ground.

3) Who are the current League Two clubs that we should be looking out for (and why)?

If Stockport or Rochdale stay down then I can see them having a real go next term. Rochdale had a good run in the previous year but a bad early spell (before they beat us with ten men) made it hard work for them this time around. Brentford, Bradford and Chesterfield will also be far better next time out.
4) How do you think the clubs who came down from League One will cope (and why)?

The bottom of any division is worse than the top of the one below it with the possible exception of the Premiership. A team going down MUST improve their team whilst a team coming up MUST keep the side together with one or two minor improvements. Much depends on the finances of the teams coming down as to whether they feel consolidation is more important than trying to bounce straight back up.

5) ...And finally, have a guess - how do you think Aldershot will do next season (and why)?

As stated earlier, I think that keeping the team together is a major factor. They know their game, they have the feel good factor and the confidence of being divisional winners. That tends to be able to carry most teams through. We were doing all right until we lost Roberts and Craney to transfers and Boco and Cavanagh to injury. Its not just the players themselves being absent but about the camaraderie that they bring to a previously successful team. Dagenham also lost key players after promotion and never adequately replaced them. The Shots will no doubt do something similar to Morecambe this year and have a really good middle of the season that puts them somewhere near the Play -offs before tailing off badly towards the end due to mental and physical fatigue of a more demanding league. I would also imagine that, as a team that has not been long out of the league and with the ground and fanbase being large enough, the club and its administrators (sorry no pun intended) will be far better equipped to deal with all the associated off the pitch requirements, thus leaving the team to do what it should be doing
make sure the lights that my name is up in are environmentally friendly please

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 07-05-2008 at 23:41.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 20:01   #8

Another one coming up fast FC United, plus have a great following

"Have You Seen The Force Called Stanley"
Old 08-05-2008, 20:17   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAYTON RED View Post
Another one coming up fast FC United, plus have a great following
Oh yeah, they're another ex-league team.
Old 08-05-2008, 20:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Oh yeah, they're another ex-league team.

Was that supposed to be sarcastic

Old 08-05-2008, 21:22   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAYTON RED View Post
Was that supposed to be sarcastic
You tell me.
Old 08-05-2008, 21:29   #12

I would if could but I do not know what you mean by Oh yeah.
as you wrote it and not me
So the conclusion would be you would only know not me
that's why the question asked By Me

Bloody hell that Rhymes

Last edited by CLAYTON RED; 08-05-2008 at 21:33.
CLAYTON RED is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..