Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2009, 20:08   #1
Full Member+

Talking Skelmersdale light years ahead of Accy!!

Afrikanaar
Grimps
And meee

All missed out setting of in time to Don Valley so we headed west in search of our football fix after passing Chorley we headed towards Southport but decided on Skelmersdale United v Trafford.

Not only does Skem have the biggest roundabout ever (it was a good 5 minutes to get round) but so many other 'inovations' that seem to be lacking at Stanley.

1) There own shopping trolley for running across the road for supplies
2) A man with a wheelbarrow full of sand coming on at half time to sand the centre circle (more entertaining that Ricky Kirby).
3) Gaffer Tape holding the toilet cisterns together.
4) A wire fence for keeping Grimps at bay.
5) The loudest PA system in England.

Also I might add the dugouts which have been made from an old conservatory???

When are Stanley gonna move into the 21st Century??

Old 28-03-2009, 20:18   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Skelmersdale light years ahead of Accy!!

I know the roundabout you mean. Its even more frustrating having to cycle round it.

Skem New Town invested in a lavish road network. For years there were impressive roads up Ashurst Beacon carrying very little traffic. I understand that Dr Beeching's (!?!) suggestion they might want their rail link back for the New Town was rejected! I have clear memories of the last passenger special train to Ormskirk in 1964.

White Moss Park and the Old Cricket Field have been redeveloped I believe. I think they have both shifted nearer to Ormskirk since I left the area.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 20:27   #3
Full Member+

They moved in 2005 to the Skelmersdale & Ormskirk Stadium which is on the . . . wait for it . .. . . . wait for it . . .

Stanley Industrial Estate.
Old 28-03-2009, 20:51   #4
Senior Member+

No seriously your are right - there is a connection.

Its near the old Blaguegate Colliery.

It was part of the Lathom Estates which were owned by the Stanley Family (Earls of Derby) until they sold them to Sir Thomas Bootle in 1714. Hence the name Stanley.

The Stanleys had by now moved to Knowsley (Coley's area) but later became big friends of the Peels who owned half of Accrington. As the Peels developed Accrington one of the new streets was named Stanley Street in their friends' honour and that's where Accrington Stanley was formed.

The Stanleys backed the Tudors at Bosworth Field and thereby won the War of the Roses for Lancashire.

If you ever see a pub called the Eagle and Child its named after the Stanley crest - they are all over the place - even Oxford.

Tragically Lathom House, one of the best commissions of the Venetian Palladian Architect Leoni was mostly demolished in 1924 - my grandmother who is 99 next month is probably the last person alive to have been round it. Only the west wing now remains.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!

Last edited by Haggis316; 28-03-2009 at 20:59.
Old 17-04-2009, 21:10   #5
Senior Member+

Went past the Stanley Industrial Estate home of Skelmerdale Utd on Wednesday.

The next sign post I saw was for "Whalleys"!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..