Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2009, 21:49   #1

Special Thanks

I did not come on here for a thank you but to thank you! I was one of The Sherwood Strollers...a group of ageing balding (in the main) Preston North End fans who travel all over watching North End and drinking heavily and we came along on Friday to lend our support. After all it is only back to 1985 that we were on the brink of going bust and had to play on a Tuesday afternoon as our floodlights had been condemned by the local authority. Only 2007 people turned out to watch Scunthorpe beat us one nil....a very low point in North End's history but look what we have achieved since.

My faith in football was completely restored. The Crown Pub, the home support (which reminded us of The Town End at Deepdale many moons ago), the honest football and the fact that supporters who are usually bitter rivals turned out to support another team.

We spoke to Burnley, Blackburn, Coventry, Bury, Rochdale, Bradford, Morecambe and even Blackpool fans and enjoyed every minute of it.

There is a photo on the club website of Kee after the winner and in the background are some Bury fans celebrating as if their team had scored six minutes from time.....faith restored!

Although it went horribly wrong after the game as we drank just a bit too much celebratory ale......a few more pints in the Crown....great staff by the way......then back to Preston to celebrate the win and spread the Stanley word ariving home in the small hours.

Despite a messy end to the evening/morning we will all be returning to Stanley this season and really hope that this great club pulls through this and moves onwards and upwards.

Thanks again Stanley and good luck!

Last edited by Counting Crow; 13-09-2009 at 21:53.
Counting Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2009, 22:00   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Special Thanks

thanks counting crow, i returned to stanley after going to rovers in 62, n watching em until stanley returned to league,(which i never thought i would live to see) best move i ever made- a proper club "Bit Primitive" but n atmosphere like days of old, would not swop it fer the world.
Old 13-09-2009, 22:07   #3
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

A heart warming post CC one that like you said restores faith that although on another day bitter rivals, can come together to support a common cores (STANLEY) We're one big football family
Old 14-09-2009, 05:07   #4
God Member

Smile Re: Special Thanks

Thanks for the post CC, nice that you enjoyed the night, but more importantly - you will be back

19 Years in the Football League

VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 07:57   #5

As per counting cow post above Im trying to find that photo of the Bury fans behind the goal (when you scored) v Darlo last season to show a mate and save. I think it was a Kipax photo. Anyone got a link please? I cant find it on the Kipax website.

Last edited by carlmason; 28-08-2010 at 08:00.
carlmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 08:21   #6
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accy v Darlington (All about the Fans) Try this carl
Old 28-08-2010, 11:36   #7

Cheers Matey. I never saved them and there are some crackers. Especially this one LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracker.jpg (115.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by carlmason; 28-08-2010 at 11:43.
carlmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 12:35   #8

Did she score?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..