Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2010, 17:58   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Stanley try to sign Paul mullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Witty, but cruel, Cashers.

In the absence of an experienced 20 year old, standing 6'4", weighing 14 stone of rippling muscle, and the shooting boots of Bobby Charlton, I don't see what's to lose.
If JC thinks Mr Mullin can do a job for him then I'm willing to believe. Certainly Paul Mullin can't be blamed for the 'agricultural' style of distribution preferred by some of Stanley's past players.
I qualify on this count Exile !...but mine only ripple when the wind blows ! ....and at the risk of incurring Cashy's wrath I agree with your final assessment...but
he is a fine 'target-man' for the high clearance, wins more than his share of them..and with someone to read and play off him. is a dangerous player !, and I can't understand why Sammy McIlroy hasn't used his talents this season !..so in the short term until a quality striker ( and every Club is seeking one !) comes along, if an affordable loan deal can be struck then .....???

Last edited by yonmon; 20-08-2010 at 18:00.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2010, 18:17   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Sammy Mcllroy, probably wasn't using him, fer the same reason the Bradford manager gave up? but what do i know.
Old 20-08-2010, 19:02   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Morecambe | News | Latest from the Globe Arena | News | Sammy says Mullin is staying Forget It.
Old 20-08-2010, 19:09   #34
Senior Member+

Yup !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 19:41   #35
Super Moderator

Old 20-08-2010, 21:30   #36

Am I reading too much inbetween the lines and reading with red tinted glasses.

But I thought the piece on the Morecambe web-site was quite encouraging.

Long live King Paul!!!
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 21:38   #37
God Member

Sammy Mac wants to keep him, Coley wants him to move and loads of experts on here think he can't do the job anymore
Old 20-08-2010, 21:42   #38

O'neill says that the club is going to break even and that the management team will be given contracts.
Sometimes, people just say things...
BedsRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 22:01   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedsRed View Post
O'neill says that the club is going to break even and that the management team will be given contracts.
Sometimes, people just say things...
True mate but i would believe Owd Nick before the DoN,
Old 20-08-2010, 22:02   #40
Senior Member+

certaintly doesn't look too happy on his pre seson photo i'd have him back tomorrow on a short term loan. Surely all win, he gets to play first team football at a club he obviously loves and is loved by, wages are off set in some way and obviously pre agreed and our young strikers get to learn from a proven goalscorer/legend. Seems a gimme to me
Old 21-08-2010, 00:14   #41
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
certaintly doesn't look too happy on his pre seson photo
My own opinion, I don't think Mullin has ever looked happy playing for Morecambe. I'm no expert on body language, however when he did notch for the Shrimps, or even celebrating a team goal....he never looked like he had heart and soul into their cause.

Don't get me wrong. The guy was and always will, be a Stanley legend.

Short term fix..... I can't see a problem, wages permitting. Long or longer term.... No.

We're short up top at the mo, so if he's match fit and the deal ain't going to cost the earth (wages wise) then I'd be for it. If Morecambe don't currently have a use for him and they would let him go out on loan (which, after reading their website report seems to suggest otherwise ) and Paul's wage can be accomodated short term, then to me it's a no brainer.

I somewhat doubt Sammy Mc would want to loan him back to a rival club however, so his comments on their web article seem to re-itterate that the loan won't happen.

As others have said, playing the current formation, Mullers is the perfect target man. With the plethora of attacking midfielders we seem to have, he would be the ideal player to have holding the ball up at the front,main reason being that it would not be like signing a player who would need time to gel with team mates and settle in (for obvious reasons,being that he's played alongside most of the current squad with the exception of the new faces) providing we continue to play the football we've been playing and not reverting to the long ball hump.

At the end of the day though, I'm sure Coley may be able to; and probably will, find two players for the total wage outlay for Mullers.

Long term, I think we should be taking a leaf out of Crewe's book or even tomorrows opponents, Macc; and having a good scour around non league and unearthing a couple of "un-polished gems" who Coley would probably work his magic on and would not cost the earth.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 07:45   #42
Senior Member+

this is a great move

Our curent stirikeforce cannot hold the ball up and struggle physically to mix it up with defenders.
It results in the team giving the ball away more often than not.
Paul can do this, and do it successfully.

Go for it IF it makes financial sense.
We know it makes football sense.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 09:00   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
True mate but i would believe Owd Nick before the DoN,
Aren't they one & the same though
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..