Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 19:25   #1

starting 11.

with the players we have. Exculding all injuries and suspensions. who would be in your starting 11?
stanleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2007, 21:13   #2
God Member

Re: starting 11.

not many of em at the mo!
Old 03-02-2007, 21:21   #3
God Member

okay sory about that one

Dunbavin (would have been a fit Rob)

Edwards Welch (aint seen Mauro properly) Williams

Todd Harris Grant Whalley
Boco

Mullin McGivern

and I would give Todd the captaincy. I always think that the captaincy should be given to somebody who is towards the centre of the park rather than say a keeper or a striker, Cav aint in my starting line-up so he cant have it. Thing with Todd is that he is a grafter but wanes towards the end, the extra edge that the armband would give him would give him the extra 10% to see him through. It would also keep him out of trouble a little more as sometimes he seems to sail close to the wind with arguing with the ref or getting involved with the rucks.
Old 04-02-2007, 21:07   #4

i woudnt mind one of them arm bands when i play on a sunday if it is gonna make me complete the 90. surely a player should be fit enough to play 90 anyway. Unless they charge round like a headless chicken and blow themselves out and have no idea how to preserve energy
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 22:13   #5
God Member

nah, take one look at David Beckam when he got the England captaincy. He is or was one of the fittest players around but that armband seems to give everyone who wears it an extra 10%. Ian Craney had it a couple of games last season and ran a damn sight harder than he usually did.
Old 04-02-2007, 22:21   #6
Full Member+

I actually believe that Toddy would make quite a good Skipper anyway, I reckon he would be able to command the squad, and he is one of the more consistant players IMO...

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 22:26   #7
God Member

myself would give the armband to tony[eddie] grant i know im going to get flak for this but paul mullin doesnt exactly inspire those around him i never see him shouting insructions or encouraging those around him it takes a certain person to be captain and i think the players would respect and take on board what he has to say because he has experience at the highest level . im sorry to say this cause i think paul mullin is a top bloke but were thinking about survival here and things need to change drastically if were going to survive you have to take tough decisions when your a manager popular or unpopular youve gotta have bottle..
Old 04-02-2007, 22:29   #8
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
myself would give the armband to tony[eddie] grant i know im going to get flak for this but paul mullin doesnt exactly inspire those around him i never see him shouting insructions or encouraging those around him it takes a certain person to be captain and i think the players would respect and take on board what he has to say because he has experience at the highest level . im sorry to say this cause i think paul mullin is a top bloke but were thinking about survival here and things need to change drastically if were going to survive you have to take tough decisions when your a manager popular or unpopular youve gotta have bottle..
The only problem with Grant is despite his overall experience in his career, he hasn't had that much experience with Stanley. I think the skipper should know the players fairly well, how they play, and have played with alot before.

Otherwise, possibly...

Old 04-02-2007, 22:35   #9
God Member

thats what i mean he knows the players to well they need good kick up their arse but paul probably doesnt want to upset them if you have granty at least hes here on a coaching basis as well so its no loss to paul as he will still be the deputy we need inspiring on the pitch and i think paul isnt doing we have to face up to hard facts of life. did you see him shout any encouragement or any instructions on suturday i never...it make me feel sad to say this but hes not up to the job..well not just now anyway
Old 04-02-2007, 23:30   #10
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
thats what i mean he knows the players to well they need good kick up their arse but paul probably doesnt want to upset them if you have granty at least hes here on a coaching basis as well so its no loss to paul as he will still be the deputy we need inspiring on the pitch and i think paul isnt doing we have to face up to hard facts of life. did you see him shout any encouragement or any instructions on suturday i never...it make me feel sad to say this but hes not up to the job..well not just now anyway
I know what you mean m8. He is a cracking player, but he doesn't show much commanding prowess on the pitch...

I suppose you could have a point about Grant actually, I forgot he was a Player-Coach...

Old 05-02-2007, 00:26   #11
Senior Member+

Getting back to the thread - 1 personally would select the following
Goal keeper - Martin Fearon - he deserves his chance.
Back 4 - Edwards, Welch, Grant and Richardson or Ventre
Midfield - Boco, Almeida, Whalley and Todd (Boco and Toddy can play either wing.)
Forwards - McGivern and Mullen

Captain would be Edwards or Toddy or Grant

Subs Williams (controversial but he is not consistent enough), Shrek or Dunbavin, Harris, Mangan and Cavanagh

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:24   #12

Have to disagree about Fearo, its too much pressure to be dropped in the hot seat and expected to save us from relegation. I have no doubt in the future he could become Stanley`s no1 but in our present situation it could do him more harm than good. Cashmecheck might not have been commanding the defence well as you say but it`ll take him a couple of games to sus the job out. I say get our money`s worth while we`ve got him, at least make him a song so he`ll never forget his time here where the whole crowd chanted his name not waiting in the wings like he`s used to.
So
1, Giro
2, Edwards (Nuff said)
3, Welch (Ditto)
4, Almieda (If allowed if not stick with Williams for now)
5, Rodgers (Suspension over time to start playing with his head and not both feet at once)
6, Todd (Cap)
7, Grant
8, Harris (Mr Mad Passion of the MO)
9, Boco (more he plays the more we`ll get out of him)
10, Mullin (Mr Accrington Stanley)
11, Fleetwood (Again get some use out of the loan spell and sub him at half time if he don`t perform)

Subs: - Bavs, Richardson, Proctor, Whalley, Brown

No-One is completely useless........
They can always serve as a bad example.
www.panjenix.co.uk

Last edited by Zero; 05-02-2007 at 02:30.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 15:24   #13

I am hoping to see andy tretton soon. He has been out with injury all season and last. He must be a decent player if coley is waiting for him to get fit. There have been many players that have left before him. N'Da Bains,Ashley foyle etc. I just hope he comes back before the end of the season and is part of the stanley team that will keep us up....

Przemyslaw Kazimierczak
Cav
Williams
Mauro Almeida
Richardson
Todd
Harris
Grant
Whalley
Boco
Mullers

Brench: Edwards, Welsh, Brown,Mangan, fleetwood

And when tretts comes back i think he could form an excellent partnership with Robbie. I have chosen not to put welsh on my list cos he has recently been playing quite badly. The resveres mathc the other- the defense seemed to be well orgainized. I Know its only a reserve match but they seem to be very composed.
stanleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 16:19   #14
Full Member+

GK: Kazimierczak
DF: Cav, Almeida, Welch, Richardson
MF: Todd, Grant, Harris, Whalley
AM: Boco
ST: Mullin

I would have normally just had a simple 4-4-2, but unfortunatly (recently) I have not really seen and Strikers other than Mullin to show a decent performance in a while.

Subs: Fearon, Williams, Edwards, Brown, Fleetwood

Old 05-02-2007, 17:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyfan View Post
I am hoping to see andy tretton soon. He has been out with injury all season and last. He must be a decent player if coley is waiting for him to get fit. There have been many players that have left before him. N'Da Bains,Ashley foyle etc. I just hope he comes back before the end of the season and is part of the stanley team that will keep us up....

Przemyslaw Kazimierczak
Cav
Williams
Mauro Almeida
Richardson
Todd
Harris
Grant
Whalley
Boco
Mullers

Brench: Edwards, Welsh, Brown,Mangan, fleetwood

And when tretts comes back i think he could form an excellent partnership with Robbie. I have chosen not to put welsh on my list cos he has recently been playing quite badly. The resveres mathc the other- the defense seemed to be well orgainized. I Know its only a reserve match but they seem to be very composed.

I could not select a team to save my life, but on the point above made by Stanleyfan, does anyone have any idea how far away Andy Tretton is from coming back to playing after injury ? I did hear a while back that he had been hoping to come back in January perhaps (?) but clearly that has not happened. My interest stems from the fact that we sponsor his home kit this season, and at this rate, it looks as if we will get an unused shirt !!!
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..