Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2009, 18:23   #1

The club that promises a lot and delivers nothing

I have been a Gold Bond Member since the beginning of the scheme. I have payed my £20 a month plus my season ticket plus a donation for parking plus £5 worth of raffle tickets each home game. I was told I was going to have a special evening with Mr Coleman (you know what I mean!!). Nothing but nothing has happened, oh yes they have reduced the number of prizes for the monthly draw!..Its a case of take all from the supporters then sod them!! I had the pleasure of going to an ecent at our local Primary School where Owen Coyle spent from 7.30 to 10.00pm answering questions from fans. A most intelligent and informative young manager who was prepared to give something back to the fans and raise over £1000 for the school. I don't see Eric Whalley or the management of Accrington Stanley doing anything like this. Sorry they want you to support the Sportsmans dinner (another opportunity to demonstrate how not to do things!) All in all they have lost another supporter.. Iv'e had enough of the tinpot setup and will take my custom elsewhere.
fettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2009, 18:27   #2
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: The club that promises a lot and delivers nothing

From Gold Bond Members to Junior Eagles, Eric just wants your money with nothing in return.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:48   #3
God Member

Its getting a very bad state atm is the apathy between fans & the club - the gap couldnt be wider & the footy > Fan competition most fierce, i dont think the club appreciate what its doing & is driving some fans to despair & u wanna try living with dingles to have their club that does & our club that dont - stanley fan loses everytime so far & not talking money side but the shear difference in attitudes from every level alone [i sooo hate to admit an all]

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 19:09   #4
God Member

My money's going to the Theatre of Dreams on Saturday to watch United humiliate Blackburn. The first home match I've missed (other than through having to work) in 4 seasons. Going off the murmurings in the Main Stand last week I won't be the only one going elsewhere to watch a match this weekend.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 20:07   #5
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I've not given up on the footy and Coley just Eric Whalley.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 23:17   #6

Arrow Re: The club that promises a lot and delivers nothing

after sat day and tues day im off to eastwood town game on sat and there 4 accy fans coming we have seen to much **** this year its time to change at accy we all put hard cash in to the club and get kick in the balls all the time
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 06:38   #7
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Club chairman and owner, Kevin Henry of Darwin fc has stated that in is time as owner of the club has put in £100k+ and how long has he owned the club 3yrs is it! Eric has had stanley since the mid/late 80s at that rate he has pumpt some where between 1.5 and 2 million in to the club out of his own pocket,and yes loyal fans who have put their hard cash in season upon season through the gate and in other ways have a right to have a moan now and again,But as you and i and that goes right to the top we all want Stanley to sucseed and progress on and off the field,right now the team and stanley as a whole need me and you wheather you like it or not and not been there to push the boys on specialy at home wont help the club one bit lets get behind the team as one.
Old 17-02-2009, 07:00   #8
Senior Member+

I thought Eric took over from John Alty around 1994-ish?

I think there are 2 issues here. There are those who seem disgruntled because we're not winning, although most would admit that the quality of football at home this season is significantly better than last. Then there' re those others who are disgruntled with the way that the club communicates with and treats fans. Of the two groups, it's the latter that the club needs to be most concerned about, as they are normally your hardcore supporter. Once they've gone, it'll be harder to win them back than it will the first group.

Last edited by Tin Monkey; 17-02-2009 at 07:08.
Tin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 07:17   #9
God Member

I'd like to see what unofficial web liasons officer Southern Red has to say here. :-) Fettler is taking his custom ELSEWHERE because the club aren't making with their promises. Are alarm bells not going off at the club?! Something might be going wrong here fellas!! Promises are compromised along the way yet the club expect people to keep paying the same rate as when they were promised the full kaboodle. Snot gunna happen.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 09:09   #10
God Member

the problem with the money that has been pumped in over the years is that we allowed footballing matters to rule over everything else. The ground is always maintained to a minimum, the squad to a maximum. We have now peaked in terms of what we can acheive with the funds available and we have to keep those funds to the maximum in order to stay where we are (near the bottom of the league). This is not going to change unless we can find the money to improve things off the pitch in order to generate the funds needed to move away from the bottom. We will remain this way until a) somebody wins the lottery b) soembody is wiling to pay far more than the club is worth to take it off Eric's hands c) we have a lucky cup run and draw the big boys away from home.
The club has overtaken itself (good thing or bad thing?) and can now only tread water. Money has to be diverted from the playing squad to improve the infrastructure (sales staff, better shop, better corporate facilities, improved bar, improved website etc etc). Sadly, doing that could result in relegation to the Conference - which some fans would catagorically hate.
If we had never reached the FL then it wouldn't be a problem - you dont miss what you dont know. But as we have then we shouldn't be willing to relinquish it so easily.
If Eric knows that he will have to put in x amount of cash over the next 24 months then he should really think about putting the lot in at once and finding the means for the club to make that money itself.
Old 17-02-2009, 09:48   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
soembody is wiling to pay far more than the club is worth to take it off Eric's hands
...and therein lies the crux of the matter. Until Eric is willing to sell the club at a reasonable price to someone (and I don't mean that character who wanted to shift us to Leigh) who has the ideas, imagination and cash to make the club a more attractive proposition to local people, we are doomed to carry on as we are, just scraping by. Come on, Eric, do the right thing.
Old 17-02-2009, 10:02   #12
God Member

Have to give Southern red credit - he is the only one from the club that does come on here to try to answer queries, give info & still try to diffuse the situation that the rest of the heirachy of the club have caused, he is interested in the fans & does attend osc meetings. Just a shame none of his counterparts are like that which would make a huge difference, but SR can only do so much as hands are tied with erics reign - that i altho we disagree on some issues that can only change at the top, he does what he can within his ability, & taking the discussions from not happy people is brave whereas he could be like the rest & avoid the message board, a point i wished to clarify

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 17-02-2009, 10:14   #13
Super Moderator

Quite agree, SM. Southern Red's a top bloke and if it weren't for him coming on here, we'd know even less about what's going on at the club which supposedly values our support. A pity there aren't more like him at the club!
Old 17-02-2009, 10:15   #14
God Member

Just to re-itterate another point, as the club have removed the link back to this message board also give this website a reason to remove the asfc link from here to the club, things work both ways & seems a point ignored from the club, dismissing its local forum, its local forum could soon well dismiss the club too

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 17-02-2009, 10:27   #15
Resting in Peace

I find it very sad when fans get disolusioned, especially those who have stuck by the club through thick and thin, but even the most genuine vans can so much before they get hissed off, if only the power that be could see it, just wonder if he ever comes on here to see what the fans are actually say, if he doesn't he should

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..