Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2010, 21:39   #1

the season ahead

Good evening all.

First of all, many many heartfelt thanks to the incredible outpouring of support at the charity fight night, and in the immediate aftermath. I know that Stanley means so much to you all - just as it is so valuable and a part of my own life - but even so I was touched by your warm words. Thank you also for those of you who went out of your way to say hello to my wife Mara, and who extended the hand of friendship to my family. My wife was born and raised in Hong Kong, and spent a huge part of her life in the United States, but she now knows just why Accy and Lancashire deserves to be known as gods own country !

I have kept off the boards for a while, and wanted to get the close season out of the way. I also thought it only fair to allow the MD and CEO the space to get their own gig started.

Just a couple of points of observation and clarification. Firstly, whilst i have not yet actually stepped off the board, that is really a technicality, and there is going to be a board meeting later in August when i expect that will happen. I have therefore absolutely NOT been involved in the day to day affairs of the club since mid-may.

I continue to visit this BB often, and with the friendly games now in motion, I want to let you all know that i remain absolutely available for direct communication if you have any questions or queries. As i think i made clear last year, supposition and speculation are not healthy, so if you are in doubt, just ask me directly. If i can help or clarify, I will !!

I close by making a request. Coley and the boys are struggling in difficult circumstances, but at least the future of the club is not in doubt right now as it was a year ago. Please help them, and the team, get off to a great start by supporting them. For those of you who have the means to do so, please go along to the games, and if you can, please encourage others to do so. The club is bigger than any one individual. No one, not David, not Rob Heys, and certainly not myself are the "owners". You, the supporters and the community own this club. Its future is in your hands, not ours. I was a custodian of your interests for a short while, and nothing more.

with my very best wishes to you all, and hope to see you at the macclesfield game when i am back in the UK.

Ilyas
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2010, 21:58   #2
God Member

Re: the season ahead

Hi Ilyas, thank you for your post. I for one think it will be a sad day when you do step down from the board as it goes without saying that we cannot thank you & Peter enough for all you have done for Stanley.
I know some on here have said they will not be attending games till things are sorted but while I can understand where they are coming from, I could personally not do that as I agree that Coley, Jimmy & the lads deserve & need as much support as possible.
However, the constant conflicting stories from David O'Neil & Rob, particularly with regard to the accounts & the embargo are a real concern to a lot of us, myself included & I'm sure you can understand that concern.
I am hoping that when I go to collect my & my sons season tickets tomorrow we might get an honest answer to some of the questions that have been posed on this board from the two who are 'in charge'.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 22:09   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree with accymad, think all most folk require is honesty, which seems to be a stranger to those 2.. i will not even ask em a question tomorrow night, its just not worth it to me. you yerself are an upfront guy, that i can deal with, even if we disagree. cos i know its from the heart.
Old 27-07-2010, 22:13   #4
Senior Member+

I echo Accymad's sentiments Ilyas.....wasn't it a close thing !!....but OUR Great club and Team didn't suffer a second 'death' and for this alone yourself and Peter Marsden will be forever remembered !!.
Look forward to seeing you later in the Season !.
Every Good Wish to you and your Better(?) Half !!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 22:17   #5

Accymad and Cashman

I have had my disagreements with the current MD and CEO. and there is no question that we operate very very differently. I cant imagine ever being friends with David, or getting to the stage where I might communicate easily with him. However, I have taken the view from the very start of the last "episode" when we went to the tax hearing in London that I would agree a modus operandi, and then stick to it. That episode is now over, and with the start of the new season, I just want to see our team succeed on the pitch.

As far as the off the pitch issues are concerned, I hope, pray and desire that David has learned from his experiences. I believe we must judge on the basis of facts and on the basis of actions, not words. I dont think it really helps anyone if we start off so negative, and therefore I want to give the management team every chance to succeed. As I think is obvious to us all, accy stanley is the glue that holds us together, and we dont have to be best mates or bosom buddies to be able to agree that whatever works for the club is what is best for us all.

see you soon at the game, Cashy, and please lets have a drink this season.

Ilyas
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 22:21   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
Accymad and Cashman

I have had my disagreements with the current MD and CEO. and there is no question that we operate very very differently. I cant imagine ever being friends with David, or getting to the stage where I might communicate easily with him. However, I have taken the view from the very start of the last "episode" when we went to the tax hearing in London that I would agree a modus operandi, and then stick to it. That episode is now over, and with the start of the new season, I just want to see our team succeed on the pitch.

As far as the off the pitch issues are concerned, I hope, pray and desire that David has learned from his experiences. I believe we must judge on the basis of facts and on the basis of actions, not words. I dont think it really helps anyone if we start off so negative, and therefore I want to give the management team every chance to succeed. As I think is obvious to us all, accy stanley is the glue that holds us together, and we dont have to be best mates or bosom buddies to be able to agree that whatever works for the club is what is best for us all.

see you soon at the game, Cashy, and please lets have a drink this season.

Ilyas
only if i'm buying.
Old 27-07-2010, 23:06   #7
Senior Member+

Many thanks for what you have written, Ilyas.

I especially like the phrase "custodian of your interests". That explains so much about your own modus operandi. If and when those currently in charge of ASFC are able to see themselves in a similar light, that will indeed be progress and we can all look ahead with the optimism that we long to express.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 07:44   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
I hope, pray and desire that David has learned from his experiences. I believe we must judge on the basis of facts and on the basis of actions, not words.
...and there lies the rub! Has he learned? Well, there have been plenty of words so far, but actions will have to follow very rapidly indeed now, so we shall see...

Thanks for your thoughts, Ilyas. I'm hoping to be in on the round when Cashy is buying you that drink!
Old 28-07-2010, 10:21   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Please help them, and the team, get off to a great start by supporting them.
Will do. I can't wait for the new season

But I'll never forget that I'm only able to support Coley, Jimmy and the team because of the actions of Peter Marsden and yourself. I'll never forget that and I'll be forever in your gratitude.

All the best to you and your family!
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 11:13   #10
God Member

I can do no more than echo all the sentiments above.

Allthough I dont trust or believe a word DON says, and I dont think I ever will, I must admit to being rather optimistic for the coming season............IF the embargo is lifted (god forbid its not) then from what Ive seen/heard and read about the new signings, we (ASFC), appear to be in for an exciting season...............note to the press.........write us off at your own peril

This must rank as one of the most upbeat posts from me ever lol..

See you all soon!!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 11:49   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcowboy View Post
I can do no more than echo all the sentiments above.

Allthough I dont trust or believe a word DON says, and I dont think I ever will, I must admit to being rather optimistic for the coming season............IF the embargo is lifted (god forbid its not) then from what Ive seen/heard and read about the new signings, we (ASFC), appear to be in for an exciting season...............note to the press.........write us off at your own peril

This must rank as one of the most upbeat posts from me ever lol..

See you all soon!!

For which we must all rejoice !!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 11:51   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post

well i aint, i suspect U.K. is ill.
Old 28-07-2010, 11:51   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post

Beautifully put as ever Yonmon...............or was it Alfred E?

Dont worry Cahy, I'll soon be back to normal..............lol

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk

Last edited by ukcowboy; 28-07-2010 at 11:52. Reason: Cashy's post!
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:51   #14
Resting In Peace

Ilyas, do you know when the accounts are going to be lodged at Companies House and do you know when the transfer embargo will be lifted ?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 16:50   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Ilyas, do you know when the accounts are going to be lodged at Companies House and do you know when the transfer embargo will be lifted ?
Won't be long now!

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..