Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2010, 07:48   #1
Senior Member+

'the wind of change ?? '

I know that this is probably not the moment for me to wax lyrical, but as 'The wind of Change' blew with a mighty gust across 'Ilyas's Pitch' last evening and not only removed the antiquated and tainted remnants of what was jokingly referred to as 'the new Management structure', but also like some gentle zephyr warmed our faces and hearts with real promise of a better and brighter future for Accrington Stanley !.
So, now that 'The Twister' (No pun intended!) has passed, the hope must be for a steady and gentle breeze to fill the sails of ' SS Stanley' in the form of an accurate application of those Strategic Management skills which will recognize the'Raison d'etre' of the Club, and allow Rob and his crew to set and sail a steady course towards the distant shore of SUCCESS !.

We of course, being mere passengers on this journey, will have to exercise patience and understanding, not expecting a swift and easy voyage, and always be ready with Heart and Voice to raise a Shanty (Ultras!), Hoist the sails,and to even scrub the Decks once in a while !!.

One thing for sure is that for the first time in a while there appears to be a Chart to steer by, and a steady Hand at the Helm, and whilst there might be hidden rocks to threaten the safety of our good Ship, that these will be readily avoided rather than threaten to sink us as they so often have done in the past !.

So Blow wind...Blow !..our figurehead points us towards a horizon of security... the Compass is well- boxed by
Jonh Coleman and Jimmy Bell !!...and so a new journey begins !

'SS STANLEY '... May God Bless her, and all who sail in her !'.
ho

Last edited by yonmon; 22-08-2010 at 07:51.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2010, 07:50   #2
God Member

Re: 'the wind of change ?? '

i suppose its way better than the usual 'sinking ship' scenario!
Old 22-08-2010, 08:10   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well i felt good yesterday, felt even better this morning, n thats put me in n even better frame of mind.
Old 22-08-2010, 12:03   #4
Senior Member+

Coming from Pompey, I feel obliged to point out that the "SS" in "SS Stanley" would stand "for steam ship", rendering sails unnecessary and winds irrelevant, though undoubtedly poetical ......

Keeping us off the rocks, however, remains highly relevant regardless of power source, and I'm sure Alfred E on lookout in the Crows' Nest will remain alert for the sight of distant shoals ....

Last edited by Chimer; 22-08-2010 at 12:04. Reason: spelling!
Chimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 12:52   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Coming from Pompey, I feel obliged to point out that the "SS" in "SS Stanley" would stand "for steam ship", rendering sails unnecessary and winds irrelevant, though undoubtedly poetical ......

Keeping us off the rocks, however, remains highly relevant regardless of power source, and I'm sure Alfred E on lookout in the Crows' Nest will remain alert for the sight of distant shoals ....
Chimer...Whilst being overwhelmed by the fact that you were able to see a little morsel of something of relevance in, what I felt at the moment of writing , to be a sincere message of goodwill to our club....I had hoped that anyone taking the trouble to wade through my verbiflage would forgive the occasional appplication of 'poetic licence'..
However, this was not the case with the use of the term 'SS', and not only do I take your point, but bow to your keen eye and obviously superior knowledge of all things Nautical !..
But I hope that you shared my sentiments !!.

( ps. Alfred.E. , who like me is a little hard of hearing these days...and hates all things 'Everton'..retorts.. why should he climb into a Crows-Nest to see Distin's Shorts' ??).

Keep 'em comin '
Old 23-08-2010, 11:23   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
So Blow wind...Blow !..

Shiver me timbers, is that the sound of vuvuzelas on the port bow, cap'n?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:24   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Shiver me timbers, is that the sound of vuvuzelas on the port bow, cap'n?
This thread is rapidly departing from it's original tenor Exile !.but for your own safety I should mention that 'Chimer' might well be noting, and letting you know in his kind, but firm manner that 'ON THE PORT BOW',is not...in Boating Terms strictly correct !....
Had you written 'OFF THE PORT BOW '....then this would have been the correct terminology !...
Of course you could have said 'Abeam to Port ' or even 'Off the Port Quarter'.... but that would just have been showing-off !...
I don't need to tell you that I would never stoop to such pedantic ways !.

Incidentally, I blew a Vulvazulu on Saturday at the Game...and couldn't get a sound from it !!.... everyone laughed at my abject failings, so I'm having second thoughts about purchasing one !.

Old 23-08-2010, 15:28   #8

Quote:

Incidentally, I blew a Vulvazulu on Saturday at the Game...and couldn't get a sound from it !!.... everyone laughed at my abject failings, so I'm having second thoughts about purchasing one !.
Can quite understand your inability to obtain anything remotely musical from the above without major objection from the poor soul Yonmon. Surprised you weren't threatened with a spear for your efforts, you probably was spared by one of my sharp (no pun intended) eyed colleagues on duty at the gate who denied it entry with its owner. However, there was one wag with a vuvazula near to Coley by the bench & he seemed to be unable to obtain anything musical from it either. So probably no harm done. Illyas has commented on the other thread re the future of proceedings & asked us to concentrate on upsetting Newcastle now. Interestingly I understand they have booked Wilsons to train on Wed, pre match. Would it be a surprise to see them getting some stick from some of our lads? Irrespective of off field events lets ensure we rouse our boys on the pitch to continue as they have started and lets make some noise all round th' ground to scare them pesky Magpies off.

Last edited by big al; 23-08-2010 at 15:33.
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 16:24   #9
God Member

Quote:
Incidentally, I blew a Vulvazulu on Saturday at the Game...and couldn't get a sound from it !!....
Are you sure you were blowing the right end?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 17:29   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Are you sure you were blowing the right end?
My postings on Mab's Thread 'Vuva Horn' have clearly outlined my shortcomings as far as Vulvazulus are concerned !!. ( and also examined at some length Alfred.E's celebrated 'Silent Vulvazulu' made from Papier Mache'!)..
So, mock us if you will Exile, but it won't deter us in our search for some closure to the situation !.

ps. Big Al !... I guess that 'the Wag' by the dug-out was Mab, as he seemed to be the only Vulvazulu owner in the vicinity...He's got a Red Vulvazulu incidentally
which I coveted for a moment or two, and he was the rascal who, as reported, inveigled me into making a complete ass of myself by attempting to get some emission (If that's not an ill-chosen word ?) from it !.

I share wholeheartedly in your more serious resume of the hopes of us all for the short and longer-term future of The Greatest Club on Earth !!...as my signature says.......

Last edited by yonmon; 23-08-2010 at 17:32.
Old 23-08-2010, 17:56   #11
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Thats right blame me It takes some blowing that vuvu horn!! And you did say you wanted ago on one of the threads yonmon big al don't be shy just come and have ago its free
Old 23-08-2010, 22:17   #12

Cheers Mab & Yonmon. Mab, twas u that were the party with the red vuvazela- still laughing at yonmons spelling & potential connnotations! After viewing your efforts on Sat Mab I'll wait for you to produce your GCSE cetificate in teaching the playing of such before accepting your offer to have a go-LOL.
Old 23-08-2010, 22:26   #13
mab
God Member

Well big al!!! one isnt quit sure what reaction one would get from fello supporters that are sat around me,if i let rip on the vuvu might see if mr schultz will bring his vuvu along and see if we can rase the roof together
Old 23-08-2010, 22:40   #14

Mab, That would be a sight to behold. I'll check with Mick tommorow & check if he's been keeping up his practice sessions. lol
Old 23-08-2010, 22:54   #15
mab
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
Mab, That would be a sight to behold. I'll check with Mick tommorow & check if he's been keeping up his practice sessions. lol
I have another one as well big al!!! Imagin you me and mick in harmony

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..