Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2010, 09:58   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Time for Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Survival is a good achievement in Accrington Stanleys limited circumstance. I say limited because of
1. ground quality and size
2. location (small town alongside 2 premiership clubs who are big ticket discounters)
3. finances which ultimatly means lower wage scales
4. atractiveness to player - lets be honest, we are no bradford city or notts county
I would disagree with at least 2 of these points.

Location could/should be used to our advantage. We are at the centre of football's heartland, not some remote outpost (Lincoln, Hereford, Grimsby). We are not the only small club to have Premiership neighbours nearby (Tranmere, Stockport, Barnet, Brentford) and we should take advantage of that. Our Tuesday night games should be marketed far more effectively in Blackburn and Burnley (and Preston). We should also make a bigger effort to attract fans on Saturdays when there are no Premiership matches.

Attractiveness to player. I'm not sure what this means, unless it is linked to No. 3 (wage scales). We are a Football League team so we will be attractive to ambitious young players. If we keep presenting ourselves as a small-town club with a small-town mentality, that will become self-justifying and we will be viewed by others as.....well, a small-town team.

Finances. To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of our financial situation. Ilyas Khan and Peter Marsden have done an unbelievable job this season and have at least stabilised a sinking ship. But what of the future? What of another high-profile individual at the club? Is there a business plan that places importance on improved player wages?

Ground quality. Again, I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referring to the playing surface, I agree. That needs a huge investment. But I cannot see what relevance the ground size and infrastructure have on our league position.

On the general question of the suitability of the management team, I retain an open mind. There can be no doubting what they have achieved so far.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2010, 10:35   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
2. location (small town alongside 2 premiership clubs who are big ticket discounters)
One of them won't be a premiership club next season and definately not ticket discounters, in fact the prices for next season have gone up.

One of the reasons they do well though is exactly what Stanley need, they are effectively a community club. One of the biggest successes is the links with local businesses. They haven't spent years alienating them
Old 18-04-2010, 12:39   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
One of them won't be a premiership club next season and definately not ticket discounters, in fact the prices for next season have gone up.

One of the reasons they do well though is exactly what Stanley need, they are effectively a community club. One of the biggest successes is the links with local businesses. They haven't spent years alienating them
That is so very true you don't have to go to far to see the link whether that is the kids playing football run by Burnley Community Team, or people who use the Gym facilities at the Club or walk past a shop in the village with a "By Appointment" sticker in their window or the local Building Society offering some sort of Clarets Account.

It's in your face everywhere you go I think there would be very few places in Accy or Hynburn where the links are straight back to the Club, The Community Lads do a great job of taking it to the youngsters and maybe there are link ups with the Local College in Accy?

It is another area that perhaps dosn't need massive resources chucking at it but something that needs time & patience for somebody to be out there knocking on the doors of local employers & shops building up relationships even if it is only a poster for the next game

It has to start somewhere

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 15:47   #34
God Member

you've started talking a lot of sense again recently Neil! good to have you back after a few quiet months

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..