Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2008, 18:10   #46
God Member

Re: todays game

congratulations Stanley on a job well done. Coely on t'radio reckons the penalty was harsh as Edwards got the ball but he was chuffed for Whalley 'as that is what he can do when he wants to'

Bring on Bury who have had a tremendous result holding Rochdale today who would still have harboured hopes for automatic promotion at the beginning of the day.
Old 26-04-2008, 20:50   #47

Its the first time I have visited the Racecourse Ground,its quite a nice ground.and easy to get too. When compared to the Fraser Eagle stadium, it makes me think that the ground improvements scheduled for this summer will be welcomed.
But it hasnt stopped the dragons from relegation,so well done to the Stanley for staying up, and lets hope for a better season next year. I hope the pitch invasion at the end of the game does not result in further punishment to the Welsh side
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 20:58   #48
Senior Member+

Great game , great performance , great result , great atmosphere , what a bloody good day! Whalley was excellent today , him and bobby grant running at defenders caused big problems. Phil was a rock at the back and bell played well! Craney did his bit aswell , mullin did his part like usual with a great shot which had to be brilliantly saved by the wrexham keeper. Feel for wrexham such a big club to go down , however it was nice for the wrexham fans ( well most of them and not the chav army) and us to clap each other! Nice things like that make football! Great day! Picture Below!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 21:19   #49
Senior Member+

Thanks for the picture.

To think I stood there in 1981/2 season and watched Fox and Vinter rampant and grabbing a brace each for Wrexham to demolish Sheffield Wednesday's hopes of promotion to the top flight 4-0.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 22:27   #50
God Member

is that the bit where a few of you thought they were coming to rock the minibus again?
Old 27-04-2008, 00:33   #51
Senior Member+

Haha , Maybe to actaully rock the stands them lot!

Old 27-04-2008, 04:14   #52
God Member

Wonderful news to wake up to this morning.Made my hangover seem like a minor scratch.Onya STANLEY.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 08:08   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Yes, and well done to Barrow for clinching a play off place.
..joining three other former adversaries: Telford, Southport and Stalybridge.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 08:39   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
he was chuffed for Whalley 'as that is what he can do when he wants to'
So is the 'football genius' trying to tell us that his protege has just wanted to play badly for the rest of the season?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 08:58   #55
God Member

Well done to the lads for yesterday's result, let's hope we get as good a performance against Bury next Saturday to finish of the season on a high
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 09:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
..joining three other former adversaries: Telford, Southport and Stalybridge.
Of all these, Telford are probably the ones we'll soonest reaquaint ourselves with, they have the support to easily sustain a Fourth Division squad and a set-up to match. I met a Telford fan in the pub before the highly forgettable game at Shrewsbury earlier this season, he claimed they were pulling in 2,000 gates and were definitely on the way up again.

It was an enjoyable game yesterday, and though we played well, Wrexham were very poor indeed. The encouraging thing for me was the performance of the two young lads at the back, Peter Murphy especially, who was given the responsibility in the second-half to be the last man at the back and he won most of the one-on-ones in the air. Both he and Jay Bell are big lads and they stood up well to the Wrexham forwards. Coley and Jimmy are doing the right thing by letting these lads have a go. Bell seemed to be right-back, with Cav in right midfield, and Cav was alert to the need to fill in when Jay was dragged into the centre. The two of them down the right seemed to work well, but again Wrexham offered little resistance. We'll have to see how they get on against more combative opposition, but Murphy is a possible for next season.

Two other things. We know that Bobby Grant is a fine prospect, and this isn't to put the boot in, but I thought yesterday offered him the opportunity to really have a go doing what, presumably, he is in the team for, which is to take on the full-back and/or sling in dangerous crosses for Mullin. But Bobby isn't quite doing either at the moment. He seems to drift into the central midfield battle, a sign perhaps that he feels this is the only way he's going to see the ball. But this leaves Mullin bereft of decent balls into the box for him to attack. When was the last time we saw Mullers given a series of crosses to really steam on to? I'd love to see Bobby emerge as a regular next season, but at the moment he's not a Gary Roberts type who can be left alone to beat the defender and whip the ball over. He needs more support.

And certain players also need to remember they are professionals. Yesterday, Craney turned his man beautifully and set off with acres of space in front of him, only to be pulled up by the ref. Poor decision, yes, but Craney was still bleating about it five minutes later and ended up in the book. Edwards was also very fortunate to get away with raising his hands to a Wrexham player. In a match that was petering out with three points in the bag, what precisely did Edwards think this would achieve? It's something he should contemplate while he's topping up his tan.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 19:58   #57
Senior Member+

Have to say also the ref was really good! Let play flow very well! And good decisions for both decisions but except from the penalty! However you cant moan because we WON!!!!!!! Whooooo!!! League football next season , proper chuffed

Old 28-04-2008, 13:28   #58
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
This was the best performance from Stanley I have seen this season. Yes Wrexham were poor, but Stanley where good in all departments, Whalley was my man of the match
Harris and Mullin were both unlucky not to score Craney played well in midfield going forward, Grant looks good,all the team played well,looking forward to Bury,well done Reds you made me proud
If that's the best performance from Stanley you have seen this season then you can't have seen many games. Wrexham were absolute rubbish which made Stanley look OK
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:26   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
If that's the best performance from Stanley you have seen this season then you can't have seen many games. Wrexham were absolute rubbish which made Stanley look OK
Well said Jeff,
The Wrexham team were like a bunch of Sunday School team players, and if we could not have beaten them I think we should have given up. We were not much better, especially in the second half. The second half performance was absolutely diabolical, If we had played like that all the game I think we would have been defeated.
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 14:29   #60

lets not fool ourselfs but wrexham where awful but ...... we where top form on sat and the 2 new lads in the side where up to the job . a good run during preseason friendlies will do the young un good and hopefully save eric a few bob . bring kemps back , keep webb . would like to see godwin back here . coleman wil prob still be here so lets hope its lession learnt . iam not going to talk about coleman going any more , just going to look forward to next season . no point me coming on here any more so byeee
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..