Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 21:16   #76
Senior Member+

Re: v Bury

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
He was probably thinking of going out in a blaze of glory
That's the point, surely. Donkey's years flogging away climbing the pyramid with Stanley and now apparently likely (although I for one am not prejudging the outcome) to be banned for what may just be a penny-ante (OK £5-ante) bit of stupidity - I'd certainly have grabbed the chance to go out with a bang.

I agree with Jeff and others that a suspension pending the decision would have been the right way for the club to go - but that wasn't Cav's decision. So there he was on the pitch, as captain, and in those circumstances I have no trouble at all with him taking the pen, especially if Proccy wasn't keen.

Just as well it wasn't Rocky who gave away the last-minute penalty, I suppose. That would really have given the hanging judges something to shout about .......
Old 05-05-2009, 21:26   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post

Just as well it wasn't Rocky who gave away the last-minute penalty, I suppose. That would really have given the hanging judges something to shout about .......
You hit the nail on the head with that statement!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 22:41   #78
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
29 hours later - still rat arsed!

NO HOT FOOD -NO HOT FOOD - NO HOT FOOD - NO HOT FOOD

Charlatans.

top day out. thanks to JT for the coaches and thanks to the 383 Stanley who gave their all to outsing 7000 Mancs on their party day
How the hell I got back to Darwen will be a mystery

I remember a lad on a BMX and a girl asleep in a bus stop???

You make it too the christening then?
Old 05-05-2009, 22:58   #79
God Member

i was there in body.......
Old 06-05-2009, 00:29   #80
Full Member+

In regard to the penalty at Bury,(and I was there) I'd ask the same question as others have asked......

Why weren't others lined up to take the doomed kick in front of Cavanagh??? ( incidentaly the SECOND spot kick we missed against the Shakers this/last term !! ) I know Proccy has missed a couple this season,but (as a team) four misses out of five this term speaks volumes. Seems to me,we've had a problem hitting the net from the twelve yard spot last term.

If that was Cavanagh's last contribution in a Stanley shirt then what a way to bow out ( as others have said ) I'd love to know if Proccy ever had a say in taking that penalty??? I thought he ranup to it with a "hit and hope attitude ".... but as Cloughie used to say....."for missing the target from there son you want bloody shooting !!!"

As for Williams, I've never been his greatest fan, I thought he was a decent player in the non league days.Since the step up to the league,it's been a league too far as far as Williams is concerned. But IF found guilty of the charges laid at his door,Sorry to all the Williams fans out there, I for one won't be sorry to see him go.

The F.A. have had nearly twelve months to sort out the damning evidence in the infamous betting scandal. Somehow, I don't think they'd drag the issue on that long if they knew there was some doubt that they'd get a result.

Admittedly we played well for a long time against a side who have been up there all season long. In a way we rained on their parade a little. It would have been even nicer to notch a win there and end the season on a real high. A special mension to all the Ultras with their outstanding fancy dress contributions. Quality !! I noticed Elvis giving the munchkins in the main stand the needle and it made me laugh!!

Good luck to the Shakers in the play offs. I think they'll probably need it as the end of season lottery (and history proves it throughout the leagues ) doesn't seem to favour the highest placed side.

I'd end on a slight note of caution though. As it's been announced that the wage budget drops by 25% next term, I can't see the ten year record streching to eleven next year.(although I hope I'm wrong !! ) I think unless the football genius can pull a few rabbits out of hat's between now and August, it's another long (hopefully successful) fight against the drop back to obscurity next term.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 14:59   #81
God Member

Smile Re: v Bury

At least somebody will be able to post this match thread again next season Poor old Jevons Pity he did not miss last week One down (ha ha no pun intended) one to go.....

Coca-Cola Football League Two
Bury 0-1 Shrewsbury (agg 1-1) (Shrewsbury win 4-3 on penalties)

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 15:13   #82
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Ha Ha the joy of Bishop missing the final penalty, big time charlie.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 17:30   #83
God Member

welcome back Bury
Old 10-05-2009, 18:00   #84
Senior Member+

The gills winning against rochdale
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 18:18   #85
God Member

Unhappy Re: v Bury

Don't tempt fate MCR It's 1 V 1 now, wait until it's over.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 18:36   #86
Senior Member+

Gillingham were the best team I've seen this season.
Old 11-05-2009, 14:05   #87
Full Member+

Shrewsbury Town are on form at the moment, but yes Gillingham where the best team I've seen at Stanley this season.

It'll be a good final to watch I think?

Old 11-05-2009, 15:24   #88
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Gillingham were the best team I've seen this season.
I agree, both at home and away, they were the best team I've seen in the League. But, don't forget just after they beat us at Gillingham they got stuffed 7-0 by Shrewsbury.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 00:15   #89
Full Member+

Went to Bury's play off game on Sunday.

Whilst the Shaker's were very unlucky, I didn't see much to impress me about Shrewsbury over the two games against Bury to make me think they'd be favourites for the final.

I'd have thought that Gills will probably outnumber the Shrews fans at Wembley ( being about an hour's trip from Kent at a push) and from what the Gills showed against Dale, I'd hope they'd come through that game and win.

At least Shrewsbury is North of the Watford Gap and there's a near certainty the Shrews would bring a bigger folowing to the F.E.S. than the boys from Kent???

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 06:15   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
I'd have thought that Gills will probably outnumber the Shrews fans at Wembley ( being about an hour's trip from Kent at a push)

Given they have a 38,000 allocation against Shrews 21,000 allocation I think that may be right

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..