Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 02:24   #346
Junior Member+

Re: vs Doncaster Match Thread

lets just say they tried to ambush us and they got what they deserved!!! especially one little chav who thought he was hard standing up to 20 lads after his mates had done runners!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:06   #347
God Member

Flippin fantastic result.Well done all involved-players,management, supporters and ULTRAS.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:24   #348
God Member

Thanks to the two Doncaster fans for their comments, (but I bet they wouldn't have let us borrow their shorts if they'd known we were gonna beat 'em ) still can't believe we did it - now what time's the draw for round 2?
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Thanks to the two Doncaster fans for their comments, (but I bet they wouldn't have let us borrow their shorts if they'd known we were gonna beat 'em ) still can't believe we did it - now what time's the draw for round 2?
Yeah I was quite suprised with that descision? if it was a case of ur black socks n shorts clashing....why didnt we war our white shorts n socks lol??? strange game!

as a follow up our guy who was carried off has a ruptured Hamstring and is out for up to 4 months! our injury list grows lots of raving reviews on our forum about your support last night! do your lads fancy coming to our next home game if your not playing to show our miserable lot how to do it?
Baldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:36   #350

Absolutely magnificent performance both on and off the pitch. The team played superbly well from start to finish against a pretty decent Championship outfit.

The Ultra's were "different class". None stop for 120 minutes (135 minutes actually, they carried on under the stand at half time).

The night could have been spoilt by a handful of adolescent chavs in Doncaster shirts after the match, but they soon scarpered once they realised they weren't actually old enough to intimidate anyone. No need for it though. They embarrased Doncaster Rovers for that.

Brilliant night though and a real season setter upper!! Roll on Saturday, a trip to The Cobblers is now a must.

Last edited by Larry Lobster; 11-08-2010 at 08:41.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40   #351
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
now what time's the draw for round 2?
It will be after tonights matches because they have to wait to see who gets seeded.

Here's the options;

Seeded Group: Everton, Birmingham, Blackburn, Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Bolton, Wolves, Wigan, West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom, Blackpool, Burnley, Hull, Portsmouth, Leicester, Swansea, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Watford, Preston

The three other seeded clubs will be Cardiff, Reading and Sheffield United should they win through but should any of them lose the seeded places will be taken, in priority, by Scunthorpe, Crystal Palace and Norwich.

Unseeded Group: Leeds, Millwall, Sheffield Wednesday, Peterborough, Huddersfield, Southampton, Colchester, Brentford, Milton Keynes Franchise,, Leyton Orient, Tranmere, Notts County, Rochdale, Southend, Morecambe, Port Vale, Northampton, Shrewsbury, Bradford City, Accrington, Crewe, Oxford

The three unseeded clubs to be added will be Scunthorpe, Crystal Palace and Norwich, although they will be replaced in this group by Burton, Torquay and Hartlepool should any of them win their games tonight.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44   #352
Senior Member+

From Donny fans site:

"PS the accrington fans are 100x better than your lot! quality fans!"

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:47   #353
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Why they didnt end the game with ten men is baffling.
They did they had lost a man through injury after using all subs. "9 men" you mean.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44   #354
Senior Member+

Match report from the Sheffield Star:
Rovers: Another fine mess you got us into Stanley - The Star
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:51   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
By the way, the Doncaster line up shows seven changes from their win over Preston at the weekend. Squad rotation or disrespect? That is the big question at this stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Won't be 7 changes next time
Seeing as I'd already registered I thought I'd better revisit. Congratulations on last night which you more than deserved, regardless of our shortcomings of which there are many and which are being disected on the Rovers board.

As for the quotes above, please don't take it as a sign of disrespect. Four of the starting eleven (Sullivan, O'Connor, Friend and Lockwood) started at Preston while Sheils, Fairhurst, Payne, Dumbaya, Hird and Brooker were on the bench at PNE. Martis and Hayter also started at Preston but started on the bench last night. Of the others a mixtures of injuries (Coppinger, Oster, Wilson), suspension (Gillet), international call ups (Stock) and resting some who either hadn't had a full pre-season or who had injuries at the end of last season and weren't ready for three games in a week (Sharp, Woods).

Last night just shows that at Championship level we can compete with our first team, but our reserves are nowhere near the level required and were rightly put to the sword by a clever, hard working and attractive league two side. The fact that our bench was full of youth teamers and an unfit Hayter just goes to show our lack strength in depth having invested in quality (Stock and Sharp being the headliners) rather than bodies for the squad.

Good luck in round two.
Rios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32   #356

Just thought I'd mention (because I don't think anyone else has - I could be wrong) the stewards.
Well done! They didn't enforce the "sit down" rule and, as far as I know, they didn't hassle the Ultras or anyone else at all. Thoroughly pleasant chaps. The only times they had anything to complain about were when our supporters were standing on seats, which is fair enough.
So, well done again!
Local Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10   #357

Aweseome night, well done and here's in hope you get Hull City away! (I can go again then! )
lukeogtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17   #358

Great battling performance last night. Looked a lot more likely to score after subs made as used full width of pitch and definately more determined. Onto the next roundwe go.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:34   #359

Any links to the Donny Rovers messageboard? I'd like to have a look at what they are saying about Stanley. I can only find the footymad site which doesn't have much traffic and a Viking site? that tells me I'm forbidden to access.

Edit: I've found it now, It is the Viking site, available at:

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?...nena&Itemid=57

Last edited by Larry Lobster; 11-08-2010 at 11:37.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:19   #360
Senior Member+

A fantastic night, and well worth the journey. In recent years, I've seen us raise our game against supposedly superior opposition (Watford, Wolves, QPR, Fulham - I missed Leeds) only to be disappointed with the final outcome. Happily that didn't happen last night.

I too would disagree with Coley. I thought we played some excellent football. It's difficult to single out individuals in such a great team performance but Phil Edwards had to be the Man of the Match for me. Ray Putterill was a close second but I think Luke Joyce also deserves a mention. He was always in the right place at the right time and his distribution was excellent.

I agree with the comment about the excellent stewards. Maybe the Cheltenham safety officer should visit the Keepmoat and see how stewarding SHOULD be done.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..