Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2009, 21:57   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: vs Northampton

stanley dominated sod all to all us lot, the best team won simple as, as fer the penalty we thought it was blatant n as the last man was lucky not to be sent off, ya could tell by a country mile Northampton were playing in a higher grade last season, the dark lad at right back was outstanding.ok the ref wasn't great but no excuses neither were stanley,Mullen had a shocker totally not at the races tonight, coley has no excuse to me fer leaving him on the pitch, apart from the fact it must be his lovechild. why they started larruping the ball up in the air after 25 mins or so is mind blowing, what mullen did win had no direction at all, just bouncing anywhere off his napper. apart from that spell i didn't think stanley were that bad, northampton were just better. they have played some good football so far this term playing on the ground, lets hope they revert to that on sat.
Old 18-08-2009, 21:58   #32

"if it wasnt for his awful balls then he wouldnt of had such a bad game!",
Bit unfair to get so personal.
Old 18-08-2009, 22:04   #33
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
stanley dominated sod all to all us lot, the best team won simple as, as fer the penalty we thought it was blatant n as the last man was lucky not to be sent off, ya could tell by a country mile Northampton were playing in a higher grade last season, the dark lad at right back was outstanding.ok the ref wasn't great but no excuses neither were stanley,Mullen had a shocker totally not at the races tonight, coley has no excuse to me fer leaving him on the pitch, apart from the fact it must be his lovechild. why they started larruping the ball up in the air after 25 mins or so is mind blowing, what mullen did win had no direction at all, just bouncing anywhere off his napper. apart from that spell i didn't think stanley were that bad, northampton were just better. they have played some good football so far this term playing on the ground, lets hope they revert to that on sat.
That seems a fair assessment, oh and there were some lovely bats flying around the Clayton End roof!!
Old 18-08-2009, 22:15   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Casper View Post
"if it wasnt for his awful balls then he wouldnt of had such a bad game!",
Bit unfair to get so personal.
Haha , sorry had to be done

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 22:17   #35
Resting in Peace

I think Joyce is wasted at right back. We need him spraying the ball about in midfield and linking defence and attack. I also think Winnard is much better at right back than on the left, so bring back Chris King with instructions not to pass to the opposition.
Captain has to warm the bench for me, I'm afraid.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 22:57   #36
God Member

it amuses me how so few people have such a widely differing view of the same game!!

but I am no different to the rest of you so here's my two pences worth.

Taken in a nutshell we were pretty crap tonight BUT we conceded early to an absolute cracker of a goal and then not long after -despite dominating most of the open play we gave away a cheap penalty. My view of it was that it was a penalty about fiv eminutes before the ref actually blew! Edwards had tried to kick him in the head then pulled and pulled until eventually he pulled the guy over. At two nil down we were pretty nacked against a well drilled side. However their goalkeeper has still had to pull off two fantastic saves, Mullin and Grant have missed what appeared to be sitters from a couple of yards out, and we have ridiculously managed to miss a fifth penalty out of six.

Their third goal was comedy defending again though. Long throw that we have allowed to bounce three times before backing as far away from the striker as possible. It was only going in the back of the net and the once again stationary Martin was unable to save us.

I think that Martin needs to be a little quicker at coming off his line.
Joyce is a damned fine defender when it comes to distributing it out - its just the defending bit he struggled with.
Grant was crap tonight and how he won MOM only the drunken match sponsors will ever know.
Kee didn't look fit but was still the main threat we had in the first half and he will be pished at getting subbed again.
Mullin will know that he has had better games and few more ineffective.
Coley has to ensure that this pathetic long ball shy t does not rematerialise. And somebody needs to tell him that you are allowed to use more than one substitute particularly when losing 2-0.
Turner needs to stop thinking about why he agreed to sign a new two year deal.

Sounds negative? yes it is but as I said earlier, I don't think Northants were 3-0 better than us and we can consider ourselves hard done by - no matter how crap we were tonight
Old 18-08-2009, 23:05   #37
God Member

Pretty poor performance this evening.........back to spraying the ball around midfield,back to the defence,then lumping it over the top towards Mully...........it didnt work last season so why try it again this time?

That said,its only one game.............and its early days yet as regards the team gelling as a unit.

Maybe playing Kee from the start was not the best thing as He never really looked comfortable...........still injured?

Hopefully just a 'blip' and we will return to the 'football playing side' we were on Saturday.

Still optimistic

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 23:05   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i can only think kee was perhaps given n hour cos not fully fit. what i could not comrehend was his replacement, cannot understand why symes has been brought here, just to warm the bench? must be well brassed off, he aint kicked a ball in anger yet. WHY?
Old 19-08-2009, 00:41   #39

Slightly more calm now - got to say there are signs of improvement from last season - 2-0 down and we kept on playing - not well but we kept playing, last season it would have been heads down and prepare for the onslaught, today we hit the post twice and had two solid penalty shouts - step in the right direction - credit to the positive spirit around the club.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 00:58   #40
God Member

I asked earlier if this was our heaviest 'Home' defeat since return to the Big Time? Anybody?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:24   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I think Joyce is wasted at right back. We need him spraying the ball about in midfield and linking defence and attack. I also think Winnard is much better at right back than on the left, so bring back Chris King with instructions not to pass to the opposition.
Captain has to warm the bench for me, I'm afraid.
Totally agree,we have two left backs at the club,yet plays Winnard (a right back/centre half) at left back,and Joyce a midfielder at right back to accomodate our new captain.
Old 19-08-2009, 07:41   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
I asked earlier if this was our heaviest 'Home' defeat since return to the Big Time? Anybody?
Think we had the same scoreline in home matches against Darlo and Lincoln a couple of seasons ago, John.

Just one positive from a pretty dreadful night was the 1,561 gate. Just for a change we didn't have the lowest gate of the day...that honour went to Barnet, but, then again, they were only playing Morecambe. The 300 "casuals" obviously liked what they saw on Saturday and came back for more...sadly, they didn't get it and unless the lads turn in a good result at Aldershot and/or even West London, they'll disappear quicker than a snowball in a heatwave.
Old 19-08-2009, 08:29   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i can only think kee was perhaps given n hour cos not fully fit. what i could not comrehend was his replacement, cannot understand why symes has been brought here, just to warm the bench? must be well brassed off, he aint kicked a ball in anger yet. WHY?
The answer is that Coley, having seen Mullin nod in a sitter against Walsall, predicted a goal glut from him. All we have seen is a string of missed chances from him and slow, ineffectual play. For how much longer can this marvellous club servant's decline continue to hold back our development?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 08:33   #44

The previous post is the most relevant of the thread, new fans will not come out in numbers to support rubbish performances for very long. Increased gates are vital for Stanleys recovery and ambitions.
Hopefully last night was a one off(at home at least) and its onwards and upwards. I am very optimistic that this squad has the potential for a top half position in the table.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 08:37   #45

The above was a reply to Redraine

Last edited by caretaker; 19-08-2009 at 08:39. Reason: Replied to wrong thread
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..