Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 19:03   #61
Full Member+

Re: vs Notts County

I'd go along with much of what has been said in this thread. Simply not good enough.

Branch - Past it. He may have the experience but the legs have gone.

Whalley - Seems to make a habit of running down a blind alley and his crossing is woeful.

Cavanagh - Caught in possesion far too many times. Got forward late on but that lead to him being dragged out of position. Their second goal typical example.

Williams & Roberts - Left it to each other to clear the ball for their first. Of the two, the one to give way for Webb would be Williams- He seems to be making at least a couple of mistakes a game, his passing totally lacks any thought or vision. One dimensional lump forward seems to be his favoured pass.

I'd agree with what was posted earlier-why have three central midfielders in the side if you're supposedly playing 4-4-2 ?? Or was Craney sitting in behind the front 2 and we were playing a 4-3-3??

Effort in the second half was much better. However as others have stated before-Why did Coleman not make the changes when the game was crying out for him to do so. And when the change came, it didn't really change anything.Surely the more positive move would have been to take Branch off and put Evil on, swap Whalley for McGivern (not Miles) and go 3 at the back and push an extra man forward ?? And this should have been done after 65-70 mins so that the change had time to make an impact.

All in all, it's going to have to be a big improvement on today's display IF we're to take anything away from Christie Park on Tuesday. And I,like many others will be extremely disappointed if Coleman doesn't make changes. The underachievers(and we all know who they are,or have an opinion on them) need to get the message.We can't afford to carry passengers.The only answer is to drop those concerned and provide the challenge to those replacing them to stake their claim for a regular starting berth.

Simply put - MUST DO BETTER

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 03-11-2007 at 19:04. Reason: Typo
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2007, 21:29   #62
God Member

today wasnt as bad as we think we still made chances in the second half but what is it with certain players who dont put the effort in like 10 mins from time they couldnt be bothered with chasing the ball.they should put 100% in for 90 minutes we as supporters ask for that and we do count as we pay their wages they are living a dream .i would love to play profesional football and would play like every game as it was my last but too many times they just go through the motions ..i think its to do with todays society full of apathy.the i cant be bothered symptom
Old 03-11-2007, 23:27   #63
God Member

I think it is just a case that we have been found out
Route one dosn't work, going back to front dosn't work
Get it down and play it!!
Absolutely woeful yesterday, hardly any endevour, no spark
Notts County were no World Beaters but fair play to them, they didn't shut up shop they just played neat football and got on with it and held on to possesion which is what Stanley have got to learn to do
far to many loose passes goes forward comes straight back
Substitutions have to agree came far to late 15-20 minutes to go was the ideal time to change it around
But Hey-Ho nice trip to the seaside to look forward too!

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 03-11-2007 at 23:31.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23   #64
Full Member+

It's not a case of being found out. Our tactics and formations have long been common knowledge. Every opposition manager knows that as things stand Mullin is the target man, D'Sane has the pace. They also know where the weaknesses lie,who the culprits are,how to play them.Away from home(up to press),we're a different kettle of fish.

What makes me worry- an ordinary team took another 3 points.We were 2-0 up against another ordinary team,let it slip, went back in front and hung on to win the game (bottom of league hammered them 5-0 today). I like many others,was at Gigg Lane. 1-0 up,should have been 3, end up losing a game we should have won comfortably.

Wrexham...... Total lack of effort.

We may have the cushion now. How long can this side carry passengers???

Forget the non-sensical talk of Play offs !!! REALITY BITES. !!

For my mind, success is avoiding relegation back to the Conference.

I, like many others am P****d off with what transpired against Notts County, but what worries me more is the lack of switches,change of tactics,change of personell.

If,after the Notts Co. result, no changes are made (injuries apart) we turn up at Morecambe with nigh on the same line up, then I'm going to start worrying, worrying about another long,hard season of struggle.

For my mind...... Whalley out- McGivern in, Williams out-Webb in,Branch out-Edwards in.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:25   #65
Full Member+

Duplicated Post

Last edited by carpon; 04-11-2007 at 03:27. Reason: Duplicated post.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:23   #66

Morecambe are playing well at the moment. gonna be a tough game on tuesday. Watch (kick) that Carl Baker!! They had a good result at chesterfield yesterday.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:17   #67
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I get the impression from how this thread is going that John Coleman is losing the tag Football Genius?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:51   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I get the impression from how this thread is going that John Coleman is losing the tag Football Genius?
He and Jimmy Bell have done a fantastic job for the club, but I have felt for some time that League 2 is possibly one step too far for their skills. I have said this in previous threads.

At one time I doubted the words of others about Coley having favourites, but the evidence of the last year suggests that he does. His approach to substitutions is very odd indeed - they are too little, too late, and too often lacking tactical sense. Contrast his approach with that of, for example, Mourinho who was never afraid to make a tactical switch even during the first half, or Allardyce who yesterday substituted Cacapa early in the match because he was clearly being outplayed. As has been said in another thread, we now have a good squad, but it is not being used to its potential.

I'm coming north for the Morecambe game and again for the cup tie. I hope for better things.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:53   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Flawed genius, perhaps?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Thats something that really pees me off, that must make the team feel awful (even though they were today ) they want their heads tattooing then people know who they are, and at the next game let them in 10 mins late if they don't like watching the full 90 mins
Have to agree with you on this one KSH, I know they have paid their money and it's their choice if they want to desert early but I was disgusted with the number of people who did that yesterday - who are we turning into - Blackburn Rovers!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13   #71
God Member

more like hyndburn circular loyali always stay to the end.i like to get vfm. if we got the penalty and paul mullin scored that chance i would have p****D myself laughing [after i cheered ]its like buying a book and ripping the last page out...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:45   #72
God Member

2 or 3 Stanley players had stinkers yesterday, but on the whole we were undone by the usual lack of discipline in defence. In my opinion that was the difference between the 2 sides.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30   #73
Senior Member+

Report on the game:

Accrington Stanley 0-2 Notts County - Football News | SPORTBOX.tv - Nothing Inside But Sport

Liverpool fans are revelling in the success of their lad:

Anfield Banter: Craig Lindfield scores in debut for Notts County

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:31   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
2 or 3 Stanley players had stinkers yesterday, but on the whole we were undone by the usual lack of discipline in defence. In my opinion that was the difference between the 2 sides.
True, but how many times has Coley moaned that the defence has let us down and said that changes would be made and yet nothing is done about it, it's his job to instill discipline & if the players aren't doing as they're told to do something about it He has to take his share of the blame for yesterday's performance.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:56   #75
Senior Member+

I've lost count of the number of times I've said this, but yesterday was the same old story.

We always struggle against teams that sit deep and close us down quickly. It was the same against Wrexham and numerous other games in the past (going back a number of seasons).

When we play with 3 central midfield players and one ineffective wide man, the writing was already on the wall.

All credit for the way Notts County closed us down, packed the midfield and hit us on the break. The tactics worked and we did nothing to change the way we played to counter their style.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..